Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Magnum as an "all around" bittering hop

Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
jasonsbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Magnum as an "all around" bittering hop

I'm thinking about planting hops this spring. Thinking long term about what I use to determine what to plant. I probably have room for 3-4 hills. I am thinking about planting a hill of Magnum with the intent of become a one size fits all solution for bittering.

I make a wide variety of styles - primarily stouts, oktoberfests, witbier, amber ales.

Logic is that a bittering hop adds little to no aroma or other flavors - why not standardize on one bittering hop for all beers.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Magnum is a good choice for a neutral bittering hop suitable to use in basically everything. It'll supply bittering and stay out of the way of your flavor and aroma hops. You'll get a tiny bit of flavor from it, but it is a faint noble/floral flavor when used @60+minutes.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7075 Times on 5965 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

The problem with homegrown hops is that you can't reliably know the AA% without testing.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
kirkosaurus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkosaurus
Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.
I just used an ounce of magnum as a dry hop with some citra. It is a great all around hop. I have a torpedo type IPA recipe and it has magnum all through it.

Solid hop, but I agree that you don't know the AA% with home grown hops. Not to say that you can't or shouldn't do it, but something to think about. I grow cascades myself, for late additions.