Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What Brewers Best Extract Kits do you like?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #71
jcam91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post

I was thinking along the same lines,using the WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast I'm washing. Got one batch of the yeast in the fridge already.
Never used that yeast, or California common for that matter. I just can't lager either so I wonder if fermented with the common yeast. One could make an Oktoberfest that is pretty much to style.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #72
Bultaco
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_manke View Post
Update on Brewers Best IPA. I just tried my first bottle (3 weeks bottle conditioned). I am very pleased with how this beer turned out. Great taste and feel. I'm letting the rest of the batch age an additional 2 weeks, but had to at least try one now.

Was surprised with the head after just 3 weeks.
Hi, Ken.

I, like you, have always believed that "bottle conditioning" is, if not a necessity, certainly a desirable component of home brewing.

You (and lots of others) might be surprised by the answer I received from Shawn Croasmun, brand manager at Brewer's Best, when I wrote to ask if "time in the bottle" would create better taste/flavor. Here's what HE said:

" Lastly, the only beers that really benefit from an aging time is darker beers like Porters and Stout, oaked beers and fruit beers. Lighter beers like IPA’s, Pale Ale’s, Wheat’s etc. are ready to drink as soon as they’re carbonated."

Go figure. I mean, Shawn's not god......but, you'd think he should be speaking the manufacturer's "gospel".

Anyone else have an opinion?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #73
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2609 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post
Never used that yeast, or California common for that matter. I just can't lager either so I wonder if fermented with the common yeast. One could make an Oktoberfest that is pretty much to style.
WL029 is a German kolsch yeast (read ale yeast) that ferments best in the 65-69F range. It gives lager-like balance & crispness on the back that's very much like lagers. After carbonating at room temp, I put'em in the fridge for 2 weeks to simulate lagering in the bottles. Works pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco View Post
Hi, Ken.

I, like you, have always believed that "bottle conditioning" is, if not a necessity, certainly a desirable component of home brewing.

You (and lots of others) might be surprised by the answer I received from Shawn Croasmun, brand manager at Brewer's Best, when I wrote to ask if "time in the bottle" would create better taste/flavor. Here's what HE said:

" Lastly, the only beers that really benefit from an aging time is darker beers like Porters and Stout, oaked beers and fruit beers. Lighter beers like IPA’s, Pale Ale’s, Wheat’s etc. are ready to drink as soon as they’re carbonated."

Go figure. I mean, Shawn's not god......but, you'd think he should be speaking the manufacturer's "gospel".

Anyone else have an opinion?
What he says is basically true. But I've had some AP's & IPA's that were a bit better after 4 weeks, rather than the usual 3 at 70F or a bit more.