Becks clone recipe - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Becks clone recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
fastrega
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 4


Can anyone post or send me recipe for becks clone for 5 gallon brew. Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,595
Liked 194 Times on 162 Posts


Bremen Lager

Category Pilsner
Subcategory German Pilsner (Pils)
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 9.50 lbs.
Total Hops 2.3 oz.


8 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. German CaraFoam
1 lbs. Barley Flaked
.75 oz. Northern Brewer ( 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : WYeast 2042 Danish Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
fastrega
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd
Bremen Lager

Category Pilsner
Subcategory German Pilsner (Pils)
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 9.50 lbs.
Total Hops 2.3 oz.

8 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. German CaraFoam
1 lbs. Barley Flaked
.75 oz. Northern Brewer ( 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : WYeast 2042 Danish Lager
Thank you

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
k47k
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
NY
Posts: 594
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts


when fermentation is finished put your carboy out in the sun for an hour. or bottle in clear or green bottles and put them in the sun for an hour. you will get that signature beck skunk aroma.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
pherrman
Recipes 
 
May 2014
Posts: 1

What temp for mash? 140F?

For how long? 60min?

Ferment for 10 days?

Thank you

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,595
Liked 194 Times on 162 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pherrman View Post
What temp for mash? 140F?

For how long? 60min?

Ferment for 10 days?

Thank you
I'd suggest a decoction mash, 20 min 128F, 60 min @ 148F and a 10 minute mashout @ 168F but if you're doing a single infusion try 60 min @ 148-150F. Ferment for as long as it takes, 10 days will probably do it for primary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,420
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I'd suggest a decoction mash, 20 min 128F, 60 min @ 148F and a 10 minute mashout @ 168F but if you're doing a single infusion try 60 min @ 148-150F. Ferment for as long as it takes, 10 days will probably do it for primary.
I don't think I've ever used Danish lager yeast. Does it throw lots of diacteyl? I wonder if it needs a diacetyl rest in general?

And then, I wonder why I never used it. I guess when I make lagers, I tend to target a Bavarian or Czech style, and so didn't think about Danish lager yeast for a pilsner style.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,595
Liked 194 Times on 162 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't think I've ever used Danish lager yeast. Does it throw lots of diacteyl? I wonder if it needs a diacetyl rest in general?

And then, I wonder why I never used it. I guess when I make lagers, I tend to target a Bavarian or Czech style, and so didn't think about Danish lager yeast for a pilsner style.
The 2042 is an excellent GP lager yeast and IMO the closest strain you can find to what a northern German megabrewer like Beck's might use. It's the Carlsberg yeast and I don't think it gets nearly enough play. I use the southern German yeasts for festbiers, dunkel, Helles and anything Bavarian and one of the Urquell strains for Czech lagers but for standard type German pilsners or American style lagers the 2042 is hard to beat.

From Wyeast's product description:

This yeast is a good choice for Dortmund-style lagers. It will ferment crisp and dry with a soft, rounded profile that accentuates hop characteristics.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 46-56F, 8-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Styles:
Classic American Pilsner
Dark American Lager
Dortmunder Export
Lite American Lager
Munich Helles
Premium American Lager
Standard American Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,420
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
The 2042 is an excellent GP lager yeast and IMO the closest strain you can find to what a northern German megabrewer like Beck's might use. It's the Carlsberg yeast and I don't think it gets nearly enough play.

From Wyeast's product description:

This yeast is a good choice for Dortmund-style lagers. It will ferment crisp and dry with a soft, rounded profile that accentuates hop characteristics.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 46-56F, 8-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Styles:
Classic American Pilsner
Dark American Lager
Dortmunder Export
Lite American Lager
Munich Helles
Premium American Lager
Standard American Lager
Thanks for that! I'm tossing around a CAP idea, and this yeast strain was totally off my radar. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (even though it's totally off topic as not a Beck's clone at all!).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,595
Liked 194 Times on 162 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Thanks for that! I'm tossing around a CAP idea, and this yeast strain was totally off my radar. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (even though it's totally off topic as not a Beck's clone at all!).
It does a great job with a CAP. I think you'll like it.

Yooper Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
becks dark recipe, want to share jkellner29 Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-04-2012 01:00 AM
Becks or hieneken recipe bkov Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-01-2010 04:27 AM
Becks clone WBC All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 11-25-2009 10:31 PM
Becks Dark Omnihility Commercial Brew Discussion 0 11-25-2009 12:55 AM
looking for a Becks clone recipe bkov Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-24-2008 02:45 AM


Forum Jump