Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > True Brew Nut Brown Ale - Final Gravity Question, and maybe infection?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
jwetzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm glad you all are saying that it looks normal, that's re-assuring to hear!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk229 View Post
I made my first batch ever on New Year's Day the same brew. I bottled it last Sunday. I never opened the top until last Sunday when I took my gravity reading. IT was 1.0017. I forgot to take the reading when I first made the batch. It tasted good when I bottled it. It looks just like the ones in your picture except there was very little floating on top. I was surprised that you can not see anything happening in the bottles. I will wait wait a few weeks before I try it again.
When I tasted mine it tasted good, just flat. I'm excited to see how it tastes once it's carbonated.

I just bottled Saturday night so I didn't expect to see any results...but I grabbed one of my bottles and flipped it upside down, and saw there was a descent amount of sludge at the bottom of the bottle. This was only visible when holding up to the light (I know you're not supposed to have them in the light but I just wanted to see what I could see).

How long have yours been in the bottles? And how far did you fill your bottles up? I filled mine up so that when I pulled the filler tube out, it was level with the base of the neck.

I filled mine to the arrow in this pic:

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
cwk229
Recipes 

When I filled my bottles I used a bottle filling wand and I filled them to the top. hen you take the wand out it leaves about a one inch head space. hat is what My book said is needed for good conditioning. Time will tell. I hope my bottles were clean enough and sanitized. I washed them all with oxy clean to remove the labels and then The day of bottling I soaked them all in the B Brite that came with the kit. No where in the instruction did it say they needed to be soaked but I saw it on a number oaf forums. Plus you need to rinse them out , not sure what that does to sanitizing the bottles. I will wait to try the beers in a couple weeks to see how it is before I buy more stuff.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwetzler View Post
When I tasted mine it tasted good, just flat. I'm excited to see how it tastes once it's carbonated.

I just bottled Saturday night so I didn't expect to see any results...but I grabbed one of my bottles and flipped it upside down, and saw there was a descent amount of sludge at the bottom of the bottle. This was only visible when holding up to the light (I know you're not supposed to have them in the light but I just wanted to see what I could see).

How long have yours been in the bottles? And how far did you fill your bottles up? I filled mine up so that when I pulled the filler tube out, it was level with the base of the neck.
It's funny, I'm going through all the same stuff. here's a couple pictures of one of mine where you can see the sludge:

Before anybody yells at me, this is the ONLY one in a clear bottle. I just wanted one in a clear bottle so i could see the true color and clarity of them as they aged. Also, this is one of the last ones I bottled. I have no idea if this amount of sludge is normal, just posting that I have the same thing.

As for how high i bottled, I filled pretty close to the very top, then took out the bottling wand which left about the right amount of space.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Extract beer sometimes finishes with a higher than desired FG. These threads discuss the 1.020 curse:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fg-quite-high-324462/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/fer...length-351457/

Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 869 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I brewed a True Brew Nut Brown Ale 11/11/2010. FG on bottling day 12/31/2010 was 1.016. Very good flavor. First 6 days at 62 to 63. Let temperature rise to ambient room temperature of 70 till bottling day. I don't have any notes on how it looked in the carboy.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
I brewed a True Brew Nut Brown Ale 11/11/2010. FG on bottling day 12/31/2010 was 1.016. Very good flavor. First 6 days at 62 to 63. Let temperature rise to ambient room temperature of 70 till bottling day. I don't have any notes on how it looked in the carboy.
Did you have a comparable level of sludge to my picture?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 869 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdans View Post
Did you have a comparable level of sludge to my picture?
I don't recall the amount of sediment I had in each of the bottles. I use an auto syphon to rack from the carboy to the bottling bucket. For most of the racking time I have the bottom of the wand well above the trub layer. Near the end of the syphoning I lower the tube to pick up some of the yeast. I stay away from the trub. I do this just to make sure there is plenty of yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning. The day before bottling I tilt the carboy using a block of 2 x 4. This gets a nice layer of yeast to the side I will be syphoning from. The yeast will often compact in the bottom of the bottle. A smooth pour, with no glugs, the yeast remains at the bottom bottle.

Reason: I will normally have less sediment in the bottle.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #19
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdans View Post
It's funny, I'm going through all the same stuff. here's a couple pictures of one of mine where you can see the sludge:

Before anybody yells at me, this is the ONLY one in a clear bottle. I just wanted one in a clear bottle so i could see the true color and clarity of them as they aged. Also, this is one of the last ones I bottled. I have no idea if this amount of sludge is normal, just posting that I have the same thing.

As for how high i bottled, I filled pretty close to the very top, then took out the bottling wand which left about the right amount of space.
I checked my bottles today, and I have a comparable amount of sludge in mine as well. I didn't even think about designating 1 clear bottle in order to be able to check clarity. I used all brown bottles.

I think the only reason you're not supposed to use a clear bottle is b/c it lets light in. I keep mine in my closet with a small blanket covering the bottles to block out any light that might make it through the brown bottles.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #20
jwetzler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also worth mentioning, my buddy at work (he's a more experienced home brewer) said that sludge at the bottom of the glass is a good thing because it means that the yeast is consuming the priming sugar and multiplying. He also said that he can't really taste the yeast, but its supposed to have some vitamins and nutrients in it.

His preferred method is to pour the beer into the glass and leave the sludge in the bottom of the bottle.