Fermentation Temp Issue. Help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel02001

Reaction score
First off I want to say thanks to all the contributors here. I have "lurked" here a lot and learned a lot.

I've developed an interesting problem. I started a batch or of Nut Ale yesterday evening. That same night, my furnace went out.

I now have five gallons of brew trying to ferment in my basement where it is about 52 degrees. It bubbles about once a minute as it is now. I used Wyeast Special london for fermentation which it's low threshold is 64. I do not have a way to get the beer up to 64 and keep it there consistently for a few days. As it is I am moving space heaters from room to room.

Is this batch trash? I should have heat again tuesday but then again I thought I would have it today. Should I just wait and see what happens tuesday?

Any help is appreciated and again, thanks everyone. This is a great forum, this is my fifth brew and everytime I have had a question in the past I have been able to find it by searching here.

You could try wrapping it in towel/blankets and see how that helps keep its own heat in

It will ferment....it may take longer. It could take like 2 weeks at that temp to finish! You may not hit your fg with it being so low too.

I have not had this kind of problem yet, but if you have electric I might suggest a heating pad underneath, or heating blanket wrapped around. I think it will be fine as the yeast will go dormant for a while, but will wake up again when your heat is back up and running, which may make your fermentation period longer. Just don't rush it. Correct me if I'm wrong senior members as I'm also still somewhat of a noob myself.

And remember REVE's 3rd rule..... Relax, time is your friend, or beers friend..(as I guzzle my harpoon IPA)

The yeast wont die.....they may just become very slow acting or dorment.....if you can get the temperature back up at some point to make sure it finishes clean that would be good.

Back