Plate chiller w/ 2.5 G batches - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate chiller w/ 2.5 G batches
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Just used a plate chiller for the first time. I have the blichmann inline thermometer and I couldn't get the flow to dial in to pitching temps, took 15 minutes to go from boiling to 80 degrees. With a smaller batch, is a plate chiller worth it versus an immersion?
My ground water was 60 degrees.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
NMG318
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Winchester, VA
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I have chilled 7 gals to 68 deg in about 5 minutes with 68 degree ground water using the Blichmann Therminator. Describe your set up.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I have the duda diesel from Austin homebrew. Do you have the water hose and pump wide open?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,968
Liked 260 Times on 196 Posts


15min for 2.5 gallons, you know something is wrong. Maybe the plate chiller needs to be filled up on both sides, like it needs to be full to work, it can't trickle along the bottom?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
swackattack
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 684
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts


Its heavily dependent on ground water temps...however my 30 plate dudadiesel chills to 70* at a slightly slower rate than i can pump it. 5-7 minutes for a 6-7 gallon batch. Are you sure your wort and water are running counter.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,461
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


Was everything hooked up right? Were you recirculating back into your kettle or to the carboy/bucket? I use a Shirron (sp?) plate chiller which is the smaller/cheaper one and I can get 2.5 gallons done in a matter of minutes. Five gallons in under ten for sure. I just gravity feed straight through the chiller to the carboy. Are you using a pump? If so do you have a ballvalve on the outlet?
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack
Its heavily dependent on ground water temps...however my 30 plate dudadiesel chills to 70* at a slightly slower rate than i can pump it. 5-7 minutes for a 6-7 gallon batch. Are you sure your wort and water are running counter.
Yes, double checked everything knowing the counter flow is required for heat exchange.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
Was everything hooked up right? Were you recirculating back into your kettle or to the carboy/bucket? I use a Shirron (sp?) plate chiller which is the smaller/cheaper one and I can get 2.5 gallons done in a matter of minutes. Five gallons in under ten for sure. I just gravity feed straight through the chiller to the carboy. Are you using a pump? If so do you have a ballvalve on the outlet?
I didn't recirculate, one pass to the fermenter is what brought me to get a plate chiller. What flow rates should I be using? I imagine your gravity speed isn't fast, do you have the water flow speed cranked wide open? I do use a pump and have a ball valve at the outlet so I backed down the wort flow to a trickle and got it to 74 for the tail end.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,461
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_6 View Post
I didn't recirculate, one pass to the fermenter is what brought me to get a plate chiller. What flow rates should I be using? I imagine your gravity speed isn't fast, do you have the water flow speed cranked wide open? I do use a pump and have a ball valve at the outlet so I backed down the wort flow to a trickle and got it to 74 for the tail end.
It flows pretty slow but I wouldn't say a trickle. Like I said, 2.5 gallons in a manner of minutes. I'm brewing today and will actually time it which I haven't done. The cold water is cranked wide open and it is downstairs in the laundry room on a faucet that has a pretty high flow rate. How fast does the water flow from the faucet?

Sometimes in the summer I will stop the wort flow to let let the water cool down the chiller before I open it up.
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Wagon_6
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
, WV
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew

It flows pretty slow but I wouldn't say a trickle. Like I said, 2.5 gallons in a manner of minutes. I'm brewing today and will actually time it which I haven't done. The cold water is cranked wide open and it is downstairs in the laundry room on a faucet that has a pretty high flow rate. How fast does the water flow from the faucet?

Sometimes in the summer I will stop the wort flow to let let the water cool down the chiller before I open it up.
Yea let me know the time you're getting so I know what is achievable. Maybe that's what I'm missing, having the hose water run at a high rate. My house has some gnarly pressure, I'll try that tomorrow.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glycol through Therminator/Plate Chiller: big batches mikefromcu Chillers & Stir Plates 26 12-20-2013 09:10 PM
Duda Diesel B3-23A, 20 plate long plate chiller vinylicious For Sale 7 10-13-2012 11:50 PM
shirron plate chiller vs. ebay plate chiller trailblazer Equipment/Sanitation 39 01-25-2012 02:16 AM
Plate chiller for 5 gal batches? Beavdowg Equipment/Sanitation 7 05-31-2011 06:49 PM
Plate chiller (40 plate) with 1/2" Cam-lock QD's Captain_Bigelow For Sale 1 07-31-2010 09:50 PM


Forum Jump