Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > temperature retention question

Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast
Thanks for the responses guys and gals!! ChillWill- I'm not understanding what you mean, forgive me... why transfer your wort to a cooler and not the brewkettle? ETCS- you only lose 1 degree or so in fairly warm weather with nothing but the pot and lid? thats pretty awesome... never would have guessed the SS would hold the heat in so well.
I transfer the whole mash to the cooler lauter tun to batch sparge. I only do 2.5 gallon batches. My mash tun is also my kettle. Bit backward I know, but it works for me

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I mash in a 15 gallon stainless steel kettle with a bazooka tube and ball valve. I wrap the kettle in Reflectix, which I bought at Lowe's (maybe it was HD but I think they both sell it). It maintains temp very well even when it's really cold outside. If I miss mash temp after doughing in, I can just turn the flame back on and bump the temp back up to where I need it before closing it up and wrapping it. I like that better than having to add hot or cold water to my mash tun to adjust my mash temp.