Quick to keg beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louderthanu

Reaction score
Anyone know of a recipe I can keg after 7 days? I just need a beer to fill a keg while I wait for my belgian triple to age.

I enjoy all BEER!!

Seven days is a bit quick for any beer, but any lower OG non-complex beer should be ready by 10 days. I'd suggest a mild, a cream ale, an English brown, an American pale ale, a hefeweizen, or American wheat. Of those, a mild would probably be quickest.

A highly flocculant British yeast would be the way to go for all except the hefeweizen, and pitching the proper amount of yeast means it would finish up quickly.

I don't recommend packaging a beer until at least three days have passed with the beer at FG, but then it can be kegged.

I agree with the bitter plan, my house bitter is (11 gallon):
2.5 oz ekg fwh
11 lbs pale
.5 lb crystal 20
2 oz black pattent
90 minute boil
(89% efficiency)
Its very drinkable, very fast, and pretty much everyone likes it.

Thanks guys,
I went with a Hefeweizen it is extremely active started in about an hour to show signs of fermentation I bet by the end of the week i'm kegging :)

Brewed a 2 Row SMaSH.. pretty basic... with yeast starter it was done in about 7.

I let it sit for 10.. but I'm lazy.

I keg all my beers at 9 days unless I have something over 1.090 or I'm dry hopping. I brewed an IPA at 1.075 on Wednesday an ill probably keg it this Friday. I've never had a problem with green beer flavors

I made a Heffe and racked it off to my secondary after 7 days. Is it ready to go into my keg now, or should I give it a few more days? Also, after racking off to secondary, white spots began appearing on top of the beer, is this mold and will this ruin my batch?

fishfoolz, was there a reason you racked it to the secondary? There really isn't a need to secondary unless you are adding fruit or chips for example. Or...if you are going to let it sit and age for a LONG time. White spots, depending on what they actually look like can be co2 releasing or it can in fact be mold. We'd have to see a picture to really know what you're talking about. If you practiced good sanitation however, it's probably just co2 releasing out of the liquid due to the transfer.

Thanks, I believe it was co2 bubbles. Beer tasted fine. No reason for racking off other than to let it clear up some more. I think next time I will go straight from primary to keg. Transferred to keg last night and another problem. Just bought a keg system from Midwest brewers and the li on the cornie keg will not seal properly. Tried for about 30 minutes to seat it on good, heated the lid in hot water, nothin seems to be working. Any thoughts?

To get the lid to seal wet the rubber gasket with starsan. Put the lid on and crank the pressure up to 40 psi. It should seal. No need to secondary when kegging unless you are doing fruit or wood. The beer will clear in the keg. Hefe should be cloudy anyways.

I took the advice listed above and kegged once the bubbles stopped. Force carbonated for 24hrs and poured one of the best beers I have tasted in quite a while. Man this is good!

image-1463347510.jpg

Here is what it looked like!

Looks about right for a hefe...BTW I've always felt Hefeweizen tastes better young:)

Looks about right for a hefe...BTW I've always felt Hefeweizen tastes better young:)

Me too!

On topic, I am attempting to go from grain to glass in 10 days with a 1.052 vanilla porter. I'm looking at six days on the yeast and four days to carb. I expect it will be a tad cloudy still (although I used Notty and it is famous for dropping clear in record time), but it's a darker beer, the Super Bowl is coming, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do! :rockin:

Back