Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS system learn from my (our) mistakes thread
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Default RIMS system learn from my (our) mistakes thread

There have been a lot of threads with advice about building a RIMS system but not so much about how to use/troubleshoot. I thought it would be worthwhile to have a thread dedicated to the clusters experienced RIMS users have already worked out. I'll go first...

Problem: stuck mash
The first time I used my system with grain, I ran it with the pump wide open at ~ 6GPM. Within 10 minutes, the pump was screeching as I had compacted the grain bed into an impenetrable slab on concrete.

I rinse and soak ~ 2 quarts of rice hulls for about 10 minutes. With the pump turned off, I add the hulls to the grains and stir for a few minutes. I let the grain bed settle for ~ 5 minutes and then turn the pump on low. I gradually increase the flow rate to ~ 2 GPM and have not had any additional issues with stuck mashes, even when brewing with a sizeable amount of rye. I determined the flow rate at 2 GPM through trial and error, but also by watching the fluid level in my sight-glass. The level starts to go down as your mass is sticking but will rise as you lower the flow rate.

Whose next?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Liked 87 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well not using RIMS, but am using HERMS. So I guess it can still be useful.

Problem: Cooling time
Trying to use the HERMS coil to cool the wort for the first time. It took nearly an hour to chill the wort to about 85*.

I use a plate chiller with a hop spider and chill my wort from boiling to 75* in about 15 minutes.
Toasting Tortoise Brewery
Primary - Smoked Belgium
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League