Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge Temperature for 2 Rinses?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This is a really interesting thread for me as my efficiency has been low and I believe the culprit to be using too much sparge water at once. I added just under 5 gallons and ended up with 1.030 - expected was 1.050ish. I am happy to see that the speed of the draining doesn't matter as I don't have a valve installed yet (possibly doing today with toilet braid.

I am using a 5 Gallon cylindrical cooler in a paint straining bag and I am using 10lb grain bills. I still had about 1.5 gallons of dead space so I want to increase my grain bill but I am worried that too much grain may hurt my conversion.

My next batch I am going to do a 2 or 3 step sparge after draining mash tun. Adding 1.83 gallons for each rinse. My question is how long do I let the sparge rest before draining?

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #42
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2720 Times on 2105 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320
This is a really interesting thread for me as my efficiency has been low and I believe the culprit to be using too much sparge water at once. I added just under 5 gallons and ended up with 1.030 - expected was 1.050ish. I am happy to see that the speed of the draining doesn't matter as I don't have a valve installed yet (possibly doing today with toilet braid.

I am using a 5 Gallon cylindrical cooler in a paint straining bag and I am using 10lb grain bills. I still had about 1.5 gallons of dead space so I want to increase my grain bill but I am worried that too much grain may hurt my conversion.

My next batch I am going to do a 2 or 3 step sparge after draining mash tun. Adding 1.83 gallons for each rinse. My question is how long do I let the sparge rest before draining?
99% of the time someone reports low efficiency it is because they are getting poorly milled grain. I've gotten poorly milled grain before and gotten 35% efficiency. After getting my own mill, I clock 75-80% every time using the same process.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #43
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1403 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
It doesn't need to rest; it just needs to mix. How long that takes depends on how good your stirring arm is.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

And you beat it like it owes you money....And then stir it some more.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #45
krackin
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Obviously starting the boil with a higher temp wort means less flame time to get to boil and less chance of scorching. This is important for my personal brewing.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #46
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
99% of the time someone reports low efficiency it is because they are getting poorly milled grain. I've gotten poorly milled grain before and gotten 35% efficiency. After getting my own mill, I clock 75-80% every time using the same process.
I actually crush my own grain. IMO I think I crush it to what I seen on pictures here. I use a Corona Mill set to about the width of a credit card. Is this okay or should I run it through twice. I'm not sure but is it possible to crush grain too much?

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #47
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
I actually crush my own grain. IMO I think I crush it to what I seen on pictures here. I use a Corona Mill set to about the width of a credit card. Is this okay or should I run it through twice. I'm not sure but is it possible to crush grain too much?
I'm no expert on corona mills but when I used to get my grain crushed at my LHBS I would get around 65-70%eff. I was never really happy witht he crush but I couldn't accurately adjust it to where I wanted it to be. Fast foward to about 14 months ago I bought a barley crusher and set my gap to .034 inches which is a bit on the tight side but I have never had a stuck sparge though the vourlauf can be a bit much and I have sat steady at 85% eff ever since even going as high as 90% on 1 occasion. I am a strong believer in your crush will directly influence your overall eff. as well as a good mill makes all the difference.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles