Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge Temperature for 2 Rinses?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manteno, IL
Posts: 1,117
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

This is a really interesting thread for me as my efficiency has been low and I believe the culprit to be using too much sparge water at once. I added just under 5 gallons and ended up with 1.030 - expected was 1.050ish. I am happy to see that the speed of the draining doesn't matter as I don't have a valve installed yet (possibly doing today with toilet braid.

I am using a 5 Gallon cylindrical cooler in a paint straining bag and I am using 10lb grain bills. I still had about 1.5 gallons of dead space so I want to increase my grain bill but I am worried that too much grain may hurt my conversion.

My next batch I am going to do a 2 or 3 step sparge after draining mash tun. Adding 1.83 gallons for each rinse. My question is how long do I let the sparge rest before draining?


__________________
Tyler's Brewhaus

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops
histo320 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #42
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,326
Liked 2720 Times on 2105 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320
This is a really interesting thread for me as my efficiency has been low and I believe the culprit to be using too much sparge water at once. I added just under 5 gallons and ended up with 1.030 - expected was 1.050ish. I am happy to see that the speed of the draining doesn't matter as I don't have a valve installed yet (possibly doing today with toilet braid.

I am using a 5 Gallon cylindrical cooler in a paint straining bag and I am using 10lb grain bills. I still had about 1.5 gallons of dead space so I want to increase my grain bill but I am worried that too much grain may hurt my conversion.

My next batch I am going to do a 2 or 3 step sparge after draining mash tun. Adding 1.83 gallons for each rinse. My question is how long do I let the sparge rest before draining?
99% of the time someone reports low efficiency it is because they are getting poorly milled grain. I've gotten poorly milled grain before and gotten 35% efficiency. After getting my own mill, I clock 75-80% every time using the same process.


bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #43
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,485
Liked 1403 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
My next batch I am going to do a 2 or 3 step sparge after draining mash tun. Adding 1.83 gallons for each rinse. My question is how long do I let the sparge rest before draining?
It doesn't need to rest; it just needs to mix. How long that takes depends on how good your stirring arm is.
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin
MalFet is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

And you beat it like it owes you money....And then stir it some more.
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #45
krackin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: , NH
Posts: 928
Liked 213 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Obviously starting the boil with a higher temp wort means less flame time to get to boil and less chance of scorching. This is important for my personal brewing.
krackin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #46
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manteno, IL
Posts: 1,117
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
99% of the time someone reports low efficiency it is because they are getting poorly milled grain. I've gotten poorly milled grain before and gotten 35% efficiency. After getting my own mill, I clock 75-80% every time using the same process.
I actually crush my own grain. IMO I think I crush it to what I seen on pictures here. I use a Corona Mill set to about the width of a credit card. Is this okay or should I run it through twice. I'm not sure but is it possible to crush grain too much?
__________________
Tyler's Brewhaus

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops
histo320 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #47
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
I actually crush my own grain. IMO I think I crush it to what I seen on pictures here. I use a Corona Mill set to about the width of a credit card. Is this okay or should I run it through twice. I'm not sure but is it possible to crush grain too much?
I'm no expert on corona mills but when I used to get my grain crushed at my LHBS I would get around 65-70%eff. I was never really happy witht he crush but I couldn't accurately adjust it to where I wanted it to be. Fast foward to about 14 months ago I bought a barley crusher and set my gap to .034 inches which is a bit on the tight side but I have never had a stuck sparge though the vourlauf can be a bit much and I have sat steady at 85% eff ever since even going as high as 90% on 1 occasion. I am a strong believer in your crush will directly influence your overall eff. as well as a good mill makes all the difference.


__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sparge Temperature daveooph131 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 11-18-2009 05:21 AM
Sparge temperature? kman42 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 10-28-2009 04:52 PM
Batch Sparge Temperature TheBug All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-11-2009 03:01 AM
Fly sparge temperature question JVD_X All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 02-19-2009 03:49 PM
Sparge temperature question thenatibrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 05-17-2008 02:44 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS