Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Pectinase at end of boil

Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
GavSenior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Pectinase at end of boil

Hi,

I have been experimenting with adding fruit at the end of the boil but I often get a haze, which I assume is a Pectin haze as I have no problems with clarity in my other beers.

I know that Pectinase can be used to reduce this but I am uncertain when to add it. Some things I have read say to add it when I add the fruit but I have also read that pectinase has an optimum temp of 50C. So if I add it at the end of the boil, when I add the fruit, I am worried that the enzyme will denature and have no effect.

Is it ok to add the pectinase at the end of the boil when I add the fruit? If not, when should I add it?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd be tempted to add it to the fruit and hold it at 50 C BEFORE adding it! Then you won't have to worry as much about sanitation and losing enzyme activity.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
TastySalmon
Recipes 

Many people who make wine out of blackberries and other berries/fruits don't boil their fruit.

That said, they're just throwing pectinase right into the fermenter.