Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My mouth hates IPAs now

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default My mouth hates IPAs now

I used to love them. It was my go-to beer style. But all of the sudden my mouth revolts. The piney bitterness is just horribly unpleasant to me. The same beers I used to love now are just okay. It's like my mouth isn't the same mouth as it once was. It's like I have a different mouth now.

Lagers. Hated lagers. Dopplebock to me mean "Double Shart" hated them. Belgian tripel, ass in a bottle. Not so any more. Ever since I started Seriously drinking Duvel, Westmalle, and Orval, I can't handle the hoppy beers. I know that Orval is a fairly hoppy beer, but not like an American IPA.

I even found myself ordering a Abita Purple Haze and buying Leines Berry Weiss the other day. It was like I had Chick Mouth. My god. What's next? A case of Mich Ultra in the house? Who have I become? I won't even recognize my mouth in the mirror anymore I bet.

Has this happened to anyone else? You are suddenly disgusted in that which you once loved? I don't mean wives or girlfriends. I mean much more serious things: beer.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

You quit smoking or anything like that? Maybe your sense of smell is wearing out.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Didnīt happend to me. Sometimes I get tired of an style, stop having it for a while and comeback to it later liking it more than I used to. When I donīt like an style my first tougth is that itīs just me, that if Iīm trying something new I just have to give it a few chances before discard it, that way I learn to enjoy things that I didnīt use to. This being said I canīt stand lambics, Iīve tried dozens of really good lambics but I just donīt seem to enjoy them

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
WesleyS
Are you actually reading this?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3546 Times on 2363 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon
I used to love them. It was my go-to beer style. But all of the sudden my mouth revolts. The piney bitterness is just horribly unpleasant to me. The same beers I used to love now are just okay. It's like my mouth isn't the same mouth as it once was. It's like I have a different mouth now.

Lagers. Hated lagers. Dopplebock to me mean "Double Shart" hated them. Belgian tripel, ass in a bottle. Not so any more. Ever since I started Seriously drinking Duvel, Westmalle, and Orval, I can't handle the hoppy beers. I know that Orval is a fairly hoppy beer, but not like an American IPA.

I even found myself ordering a Abita Purple Haze and buying Leines Honey Weiss the other day. It was like I had Chick Mouth. My god. What's next? A case of Mich Ultra in the house? Who have I become? I won't even recognize my mouth in the mirror anymore I bet.

Has this happened to anyone else? You are suddenly disgusted in that which you once loved? I don't mean wives or girlfriends. I mean much more serious things: beer.
It seems you have chick mouth transformation syndrome. Next thing you know you'll be exclusively buying Seagrams fuzzy navels and develop a strong urge to braid hair.
Joking aside, I previously couldn't stand IPAs. Now I can't get enough of them. So my palate changed the other way around.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Blasphemer!

Burn him BURN HIM!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Man Card revocation procedures...

initiated...

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You guys crack me up!

You're not seriously going to revoke and man-cards are you?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 24

How do we know he's a witch?

Bottle: Grapefruit Pale Ale,Canadian Dallas Dark Coffee Ale
MVKTR2 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
stat
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe you're catching a cold or something.

Nah, it's definitely chick mouth syndrome.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Two possible causes:

Your palate and preference has changed. I used to hate IPAs and love Belgians, especially Tripels, Saisons, and BSPA's. But now I rarely want to drink Belgians. I don't hate them though. There is a time/place/mood for every beer style. My preference simply shifted from enjoying yeast forward beers to now enjoying hop forward beers.

Or less likely, you could be a victim of the Lupulin Threshold Shift. If so, stop drinking IPAs so much. Try more styles & change it up a bit. Or, try better IPAs.

lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n 1. When a
once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian. 2. The
phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if
excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will
occur. 4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough.