Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Vanilla Bourbon Stout

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
johnsonbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla Bourbon Stout

This is my first time brewing this beer. It was in the primary for 14 days before I racked it over onto 8 oz of bourbon and 2 bourbon soaked vanilla beans. It has been in the secondary for 7 days. I couldn't wait any longer and wanted to see how this beer was coming along. I have to say I am impressed with this recipe.

My question is this. Since the beer has been in contact with the beans for 7 days, how much longer do you suppose I could go before the flavor of the bean is saturated and will no longer be an issue for a stronger vanilla flavor.

Like all the other beers I have brewed, the flavor seems to be most intense at kegging time, and after a few more weeks it tends to mellow out and not be as noticeable. I dont want this beer to get too strong on the vanilla side of things but I want to make sure that after a couple weeks the flavors are still going to come through.

Any ideas on what I should do?

I was also planning on adding some oak chips to this beer but I am thinking now I dont need them. I was trying to patter this beer after a local brewery but did not have a recipe and went off of one I found online. So far I think I have gotten fairly close to what I wanted and do not want to over do it with the oak. Again, any thoughts?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 179

I know this doesn't help you much now, but when I make this recipe (or one similar) I soak oak cubes and the vanilla beans in the bourbon in a mason jar (per each 6 gal carboy) for about a month or so in advance to brewing the beer. Then I'll pour the liquid through a SS strainer into the keg when I'm kegging.

1. Citrus Wheat 2. Citrus Wheat 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 27 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Bock x2, Dry Stout, IPA

Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
defdans
Recipes 

Im interested to hear how this turns out for you. This beer is next up for me. Already have everything but the vanilla beans.

One process question i had was the order of bucket vs carboy. I was thinking it might be handy to primary in my carboy, then secondary with the bourbon and vanilla in my bottling bucket. Then bottle straight from there. Will that work or do i have to do secondary in the carboy?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
defdans
Recipes 

Oh, and I would probably not do the oak chips, personally. I just think that might make for too many flavors going on. a bourbon vanilla porter is already going to have a lot of different things going on. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Johnnyhitch1
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 3498

I have a maple whiskey stout at around 9% in primary, about to throw it in the secondary on the oak and whiskey.
Have around an ounce of oak on 3 ounces of jameson.
I see that you used 8oz and was wondering how much it really came thru?
I want to have a nice whiskey backbone with the oak to compliment but nothing over the top.

Sorry to hijack!

Primary:DUST
Kegged:AIR
BOTTLES:

Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

i started with 4 o ounces and could not really get much flavor from the bourbon so i added 3 more ounces, want quite there so went for one more. i figured i could always add more burbon if necessary. some people use extract vanilla, i may go that route next time but for now i used beans. the beer that got me into this has a significant vanilla and biennium taste and so far am very happy. i am a little afraid of it settling out too much and losing some flavor in the k keg. its happened with my really hoppy beers and don't want that to happen here.
i have opted out of the oak, i don't think this one needs it.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

i don't have any plastic, i was thinking plastic primary bucket would be easier to clean than a glass carboy so i may be using one from now on

Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdans View Post
Oh, and I would probably not do the oak chips, personally. I just think that might make for too many flavors going on. a bourbon vanilla porter is already going to have a lot of different things going on. Just my 2 cents.
I agree that this beer has a wonderful complexity going on w/out the oak, but the oak (cubes) melds wonderfully to form a perfect amalgamation of vanilla bean, oaky vanilla, earthy, and malty - to name a few. I've tried it both ways, and I'll never omit the oak in my bourbon/vanilla/oak mixture again. Mind you, it's only an ounce of cubes, and they aren't added to the beer, just the bourbon mixture pre-made before brewing.

The members of my homebrew club agree. Try it!
1. Citrus Wheat 2. Citrus Wheat 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 27 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Bock x2, Dry Stout, IPA

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

I will be making this again for sure so there will be time for experiments. I am going to leave it as is. I also decided a little longer in secondary. I tasted again today and decided it could use a little more time. Yesterday I seemed to have tasted more borboun and less vanilla, today it was the other way around. Its going to be good either way.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

This sounds amazing. I will be adding this to my brew list.