Recirculating Ice Water Chiller - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Recirculating Ice Water Chiller

Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

I've read a number of posts from folks in hot areas like Texaz & Arizona that are recirculating ice water for their chillers. I used to use a prechiller, but not any more. I stopped by Lowes yesterday and picked up a 200 GPH fountain pump, 15 ft. of garden hose, and some hose fittings. I made my own ice water recirculator for about $45.

You can use any cooler, but I had my party keg cooler handy.

I connected it to my mongo 50 ft. copper immersion chiller from B3 after I brought the temp down to 100 degrees with tap water.

I added water and 40# of ice and cranked her up. It was running great.

I had to move the chiller up and down a few times, but it brought my wort down to temp in no time. I ended up pitching my Wyeast 3068 starter at 68 degrees when I was done. I'm very happy with my purchase and when I start the Jamil Wort Recirulating System, I'll be able to chill to lager temps in a fraction of time. Great idea and saves water!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Trencher
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Columbus, NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and all of the recent posts gave me a lot more confidence. Now I need to find that old submersible aquarium pump...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

Not a bad idea, Ed! I could use that in wintertime if only to keep from turning my driveway into an ice skating rink. I'll definitely have to give this some thought!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Not a bad idea, Ed! I could use that in wintertime if only to keep from turning my driveway into an ice skating rink. I'll definitely have to give this some thought!
Thanks, but I learned about it here on HBT. I think it was Bobby_M who came up with it.

It fricking rocks now! It will make AlGore proud!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 797 Times on 438 Posts

Sweet set up. I am tired of shaking my prechiller up and down to keep fresh-iced water up against the copper.

Oh...and uh...Ed?

I want my banjo burner back. You can keep the cinder block.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Sweet set up. I am tired of shaking my prechiller up and down to keep fresh-iced water up against the copper.

Oh...and uh...Ed?

I want my banjo burner back. You can keep the cinder block.
Yeah, I have a 25 ft. copper chiller for sale.

I guess the burnt paint on the Banjo is a dead giveway. Send the UPS guy.

jeffjm Likes This 
Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

I used a submersable pump and a plate chiller:

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
jdoiv

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Nashville, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been doing the same thing for a couple of months now. I also set up the Jamil whirlpool reciculation pump and can pull my temps down to the mid 60's fairly easily. I think it will take a little more ice to get down to lager temps. I went through almost 60 pounds of ice a couple of weeks ago, of course it was 105 here that day and most of the ice melted before I got it into the bucket. I think it will rock in the cooler months coming up.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

On my last batch I tried something similar but since I hate the idea of paying for ice, I put two 6 gallon buckets of water into my fermentation freezer. I set the controller on 35F and then went on to start my brewday. Now, you could argue that I spent as much in electricity as I would going out and buy ice, but I also didn't have to leave the house. Time is money.

To put it into perspecitive, it would take about a 10lb bag of ice to get 6 gallons of 85F tap water down into the low 30's. It's nice to start with water that cold to begin with. Of course, if you don't use a freezer as your fermentation cabinet then you don't even have this option.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts

This is one of the next things on my "To Buy" list, but I am working on setting up kegging so it might be a while.

What does everyone think about adding salt to the ice to get the temp down real low? I have 25' immersion chiller and am hoping to have it set-up like this to cool my first lager.