Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #111
Apatride
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Let's add the fuggles to the list, I really dislike it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #112
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
Let's add the fuggles to the list, I really dislike it.
Added way back at the beginning....welcome to the Fuggle Haters Club!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #113
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Interesting how everyone has different takes on hops. That's what makes the beer world go around, I guess.
Had a single hop IPA with nothing but Fuggles, 60 IBUs, at Hopworks last night and it was great.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #114
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Resurrecting...

I hate Calypso. I've tried to like it, but it tastes like bitter granny smith apple skins to me. Maybe good in a mix with others, but just not good by itself. I have almost two pounds of the crap - the only hops so far that I feel I have wasted money on. I can't bring myself to use it in another beer...

Also hate Summit - tastes like onions to me. I have an IPA bittered with it from over a year ago - it is "savory" ;-)

I have a love/hate relationship with Chinook. I love the taste in late additions, but it is WAY too harsh in early additions (especially with high sulfate water). Works well with other C hops late and dry hopping though.
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #115
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In general, I not to keen on American varieties. Although this is likely because I'm currently into malty and balanced beers and don't enjoy anything over .5 on the BU:GU scale. The only hop I ever used that the flavor just really ruined the beer for me was some NZ Hallertau I had a while back. I even made a post about it that nobody replied to: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/nz-h...flavor-361234/ Funnily enough, I never had a problem with Fuggles and love Willamette.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #116
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post
Also hate Summit - tastes like onions to me.
Everytime I have used Amarillo I get a faint onion smell mixed with citrus--I usually smell it in the opened pellets and in the beer up to about 10-12 days after bottling....it usually fades out, but next to Citra, Simcoe, etc. the Amarillo I have tried smells like onions...I will try and see if it was batch specific (bought a lb of pellets, and 2 oz foil bags from two different places) but I don't think I will be buying a pound of it again.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #117
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just read through all the posts in this thread, very interesting to see all the differences in everyones palette, although, I should expect that based on the varieties of food liked/hated. Funny thing is, I've never met a food I've hated (and I've eaten some really 'bizarre' foods in foreign counties; thymus gland, brain, pancreas, and blood pudding to name a few), and also never met a hop I didn't like. I have never tasted or smelled the "cat piss" people get from some of the high alpha American varieties (if that's what cat piss smells and tastes like I think I need to get a cat). I have found that certain varieties can get grassy when over-utilized as a dry hop, but I have to agree with the post that every hop has a time and place to be used.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #118
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hmm I've enjoyed employing a magnum/ fuggles combination in my porters and stouts and find it works in moderation with these styles.
I bought some Ahtanum awhile back and used it in a CDA but didn't find it all that appealing. I don't think I have yet had a beer that I really liked that used Ahtanum.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 05-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #119
LegitBrew
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

+1 fuggles H8. No one hated on crystal yet... I don't exactly hate it, but i NEVER use em. I find them boring and easily replaceable. Still think Mt. Hood hasn't been hate raped either, but I can't take the honor. Love em. Also, do not much care for nugget for anything but bittering and Magnum or Williamette for anything period.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #120
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Bought an elbow of Sterling and did a 2 row SMaSH. Yeah...anyone want the rest of my Sterling?