Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Topping up and the hydrometer

Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Hedley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks. Ah I think I see.

So if I start with a reading of say 1.090, giving me a potential 12 per cent alcohol volume in the gallon, as long as I maintain that volume, by topping up with water to account for loses during racking, it shoud end up at 12 per cent still?

As I have NOT been topping up during my wine making so far, does that mean that my finished wines, being less than a gallon by a bottle or two, have actually been higher in alcohol than my starting potential?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Still, though, please don't miss the larger point: regardless of ABV, why would you water down your wine? Topping off with water is going to give you watered down wine, literally.

Most -- if not virtually all -- winemakers here top off their wines, and I daresay virtually of all of them top off with wine. Either top off with a commercial wine that is very similar to the wine you've made, or size the batch so that you have an extra half gallon or so that you ferment in a second carboy/bottle, and use that extra for topping off.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Hedley
Recipes 

What about if I took an SG reading at racking, and then made up a water/sugar mix to match that SG, which I used to top up? Would that keep everything constant, the sugar converting into alcohol?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLarsen
Still, though, please don't miss the larger point: regardless of ABV, why would you water down your wine? Topping off with water is going to give you watered down wine, literally.

Most -- if not virtually all -- winemakers here top off their wines, and I daresay virtually of all of them top off with wine. Either top off with a commercial wine that is very similar to the wine you've made, or size the batch so that you have an extra half gallon or so that you ferment in a second carboy/bottle, and use that extra for topping off.
Yes, I agree. Top off with wine, juice with same SG, or rack into a smaller container.

If you do top up with water, it will lower you ABV.