Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ale got warm

Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
bmantzey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Ale got warm

My Rye PA brew started out quite nicely. The brew went well and fermentation was off to a fast start.

I pitched Sunday night, woke up Wednesday morning and saw the temp was a little low from the cold night, so I plugged in my FermWrap. I then took off for work and completely forgot about it for about 4 hours.

When I remembered, my wife said it was at about 80 degrees, so she unplugged it and opened the window to cool it down.

Now the fermentation seems to have stopped. I haven't yet taken a gravity reading, but I'm afraid of what may have happened to it.

Could it be finished already after only barely 3 days? Will there be nasty off flavors from the temp increase? Is it worth saving?

Is it going to taste like ?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 64 Posts

I've had beer ferment quick. Are you basing it being done by the airlock not bubbling? The last beer I brewed the airlock didn't bubble, I think I might need a new lid. Anyway, check the gravity it's probably fine.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
bmantzey
Recipes 

I'm basing it being done by that and the stuff on the top falling (krausen?), and everything inside settling.

The temp this morning was 62. *sigh* More equipment needed apparently.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have had all fermentation signs stop after 3 days before. English yeast seem to work good for me. You might have some esters from the high temp but that temp was at the end of your 3 days so you are probably fine. Give it time...I try not to move a beer out of primary for at least 3 weeks

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantzey View Post
Could it be finished already after only barely 3 days? Will there be nasty off flavors from the temp increase? Is it worth saving?

Is it going to taste like ?
easily could be done in 3 days. most of my ales finish in 2-4 days

only way to know if there's off-flavors is to taste it, but with a ramp towards the tail end i doubt it.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
bmantzey
Recipes 

It did have a very slight smell that resembled diacytl to me, but that could be because the yeast was cleaning up after itself still.

I tested the gravity and it looks like active fermentation is done with no stuckness.

I tasted the sample I used to test gravity and it tasted quite fine to me!

I have another week of primary, then it will undergo a secondary with dry hops.

I think it's going to be great!