No bubbles......but - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No bubbles......but

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
kyle6357
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 74


No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,275
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6357 View Post
No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.
Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
kyle6357
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.
When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
moscoeb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richmond, KY
Posts: 433
Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6357

When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?
Co2 is heavier than air, so as long as you don't tip the bucket, slosh it around, or do some other crazy thing, then your beer will be perfectly fine to open the lid and get enough for a OG sample.
Use a sanitized thief or sanitized turkey baster

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GASoline71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA
Posts: 609
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6357 View Post
When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?
Nope... it won't hurt a thing.

...and one of the cool things about a bucket is you can just drop your sanitized hydrometer right in the brew to take a reading.

Gary
__________________
GREEN TRUCK BREWING CO.

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Bubbles?? Cemerikic Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 01-16-2013 12:19 AM
BUBBLES BUBBLES.....and moreBUBBLES gmoetech911 Bottling/Kegging 26 11-28-2012 01:00 PM
No Bubbles to Lots of Bubbles muse435 Fermentation & Yeast 7 03-16-2011 05:06 PM
Coarse bubbles vs. Fine bubbles Erlendso General Techniques 16 07-19-2008 09:39 PM
Big Bubbles sacks13 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 08-31-2007 06:11 PM


Forum Jump