Porter Stopped Fermentation - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Porter Stopped Fermentation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Posts: 398
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts



I brewed up Nothern Brewers Bourbon Barrel Porter on 01/08/13 with a O.G. of 1.074(was shooting for 1.065) and for the last 2 days it has held @ 1.040. I transferred over to the secondary and added my oak chips and bourbon but Im thinking of just adding another pack of yeast to get it down. Put the recipe through BeerSmith and it shows that it should be down to 1.016.

I didn't do a starter as this brew day kinda was a last minute thing when my buddies called and wanted to have a brew day, hey who am I to say no especially when they show up with some Founders Breakfest Stout.

But does anyone see a problems with adding the additional yeast ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Begin2Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Antioch, IL
Posts: 749
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts


You could add more yeast, it's called Krausening in a lager and it might help you get your gravity down. I would say try it and report back with the results.
__________________
Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


You transferred WAY too early. At not even a week into it, you should have left it in primary. Now that its off the yeast cake things will go much slower. Give it a month and then see where the gravity is.

In the future wait for a batch to actually finish before you do anything with it. If the instructions told you to move it that soon, ignore them from now on.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Posts: 398
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You transferred WAY too early. At not even a week into it, you should have left it in primary. Now that its off the yeast cake things will go much slower. Give it a month and then see where the gravity is.

In the future wait for a batch to actually finish before you do anything with it. If the instructions told you to move it that soon, ignore them from now on.
Yea I followed the instructions, and I was telling myself not to(should have listened to the inner voices)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
buzzno
 
buzzno's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 140
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Did you take any hydrometer readings before you transferred? You should do 2 readings 3 days apart and if you get the same reading go ahead and transfer. I typically leave my beers alone for 2 weeks before I even take my first reading. So as Golddiggie has said, finishing will be slow now that you transferred. You can try gently rocking the carboy to stir and keep the yeast susspended.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
Yea I followed the instructions, and I was telling myself not to(should have listened to the inner voices)
What yeast did you use?? I tend to let brews with an OG of 1.070-1.080 go for 4-6 weeks before I do anything else with them. Sometimes that's a transfer to serving keg, other times it could be to add some oak cubes. But to move after just a week is bad information for them to give you. Especially with the SG coming up at 1.040. I would have left it in primary for at least the full month, take a reading (if it's a yeast I've not used more than a few times before) and then decided.

I'd reach out to NB and see what they'll do for you. At this point, their faulty instructions have lead you to a trouble brew (at the very least).

BTW, this is one of the reasons I hate kits so much. Or, at least, the instructions they give people. 99% of the time you can simply ignore them once you pitch the yeast. At least when it comes to fermentation time, or time from pitching yeast to bottling/kegging the batch.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Posts: 398
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
What yeast did you use?? I tend to let brews with an OG of 1.070-1.080 go for 4-6 weeks before I do anything else with them. Sometimes that's a transfer to serving keg, other times it could be to add some oak cubes. But to move after just a week is bad information for them to give you. Especially with the SG coming up at 1.040. I would have left it in primary for at least the full month, take a reading (if it's a yeast I've not used more than a few times before) and then decided.

I'd reach out to NB and see what they'll do for you. At this point, their faulty instructions have lead you to a trouble brew (at the very least).

BTW, this is one of the reasons I hate kits so much. Or, at least, the instructions they give people. 99% of the time you can simply ignore them once you pitch the yeast. At least when it comes to fermentation time, or time from pitching yeast to bottling/kegging the batch.
I used Wyeast (1728) Scottish Ale yeast and like I mentioned being not truly ready for the brew day( peer pressure got the best of me) and I didn't do a starter. I know there is always suspended yeast left during the transfer to secondary, but is advisable to repitch another pack of yeast ? The reason Im asking is that this beer is for one on my buddies who's moving away and since he help with this I'd like to see that he has some to take along with him so my window of opportunity is that that I wont have the time to wait a month to see if it continues to drop down to a proper FG.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
I used Wyeast (1728) Scottish Ale yeast and like I mentioned being not truly ready for the brew day( peer pressure got the best of me) and I didn't do a starter. I know there is always suspended yeast left during the transfer to secondary, but is advisable to repitch another pack of yeast ? The reason Im asking is that this beer is for one on my buddies who's moving away and since he help with this I'd like to see that he has some to take along with him so my window of opportunity is that that I wont have the time to wait a month to see if it continues to drop down to a proper FG.
I've had 1728 go to 12.5% before, so I don't think the yeast is the issue. Granted I left my batch on the cake for about 3 months before I moved it over to aging vessel. I also used a starter and pure O2 to oxygenate the wort. Since it sounds like you didn't do either of those things, you should have let it go much longer. While there's still some yeast in suspension, you left a LOT behind. You now have very little to rouse up and try and get to finish the beer.

Was this an extract or all grain batch? If all grain, are you 100% sure your thermometer (for the mash) was/is accurate.

I still say to get a hold of NB and find out what they'll do for you. Since you followed their instructions on the batch and it's in FUBAR land right now, they should do something to help out.

Since the batch is already buggered, I'd wager that the chances of it being ready for him to take some (assuming you want it in bottles for then) is slim to nil, for less than a month. You could let him take some, but you could be sending him off with beer grenades (with the pins pulled).

99.95% of the time trying to rush a beer through the process results in far less than optimal brews. Either they take much longer due to the rushing, or they fail horribly due to being rushed. IMO, if you had given this batch another week, or three, you'd probably be more on target. You could have checked it after a couple of weeks to see what the SG was and then taken steps if needed. Since you didn't, your options are very limited.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

upperNY01brewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Posts: 398
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've had 1728 go to 12.5% before, so I don't think the yeast is the issue. Granted I left my batch on the cake for about 3 months before I moved it over to aging vessel. I also used a starter and pure O2 to oxygenate the wort. Since it sounds like you didn't do either of those things, you should have let it go much longer. While there's still some yeast in suspension, you left a LOT behind. You now have very little to rouse up and try and get to finish the beer.

Was this an extract or all grain batch? If all grain, are you 100% sure your thermometer (for the mash) was/is accurate.

I still say to get a hold of NB and find out what they'll do for you. Since you followed their instructions on the batch and it's in FUBAR land right now, they should do something to help out.

Since the batch is already buggered, I'd wager that the chances of it being ready for him to take some (assuming you want it in bottles for then) is slim to nil, for less than a month. You could let him take some, but you could be sending him off with beer grenades (with the pins pulled).

99.95% of the time trying to rush a beer through the process results in far less than optimal brews. Either they take much longer due to the rushing, or they fail horribly due to being rushed. IMO, if you had given this batch another week, or three, you'd probably be more on target. You could have checked it after a couple of weeks to see what the SG was and then taken steps if needed. Since you didn't, your options are very limited.
Thanks for the advice, I will take it to heart, and use this as a learning lesson.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will take it to heart, and use this as a learning lesson.
About all you can do at this point. You could get lucky, with giving it more time. You might try pitching in fresh yeast (make a starter though). If you do that, chances are you'll need to oak it again since you could lose the oak additions right out the airlock.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation stopped? Cold71 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-07-2012 04:15 PM
Fermentation Stopped at 1.030 NWMushroom Fermentation & Yeast 8 10-11-2011 02:56 AM
Stopped Fermentation? brettaok Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 11-04-2009 09:45 PM
Fermentation seems to have stopped Ever Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 04-18-2007 03:42 AM
Airlock on Porter stopped bubbling early. burnsie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-05-2006 12:09 AM


Forum Jump