Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 starters, 1 stirplate

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
mo_feezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 2 starters, 1 stirplate

I've got my first brew day in a while coming up. I want to split the batch into two 5 gallon batches, and pitch a different yeast into each. i've never done a starter before.

I only have one stirplate, and will use growlers to make the starters.

I haven't tried the growlers on the stirplate yet, but the bottoms seem pretty flat and it should work.

My question:
If I want to do this, should I make 1 starter and then put in the fridge while the second is on the plate?

I assume that this way I still can chill down the second starter to let the yeast settle out before I pitch on saturday.

I was thinking I would give the first starter a try on thursday eve (cold crash friday eve), and do the second starter on friday (cold crash saturday am). brew saturday.

how long should I let them out of the fridge before pitching?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Photopilot
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Not sure it is the right way to do it but, I pull the starter out of the fridge as I start the brewing process, decant the wort off the top. Then place it in a sink with water to bring the yeast to room temperature while I am finishing the boil. I almost always have activity in under 8 hours.

iaefebs Likes This 
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
mo_feezy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try to do that as well. I may do the first starter tonight and refrigerate it tomorrow evening when I make the second starter. That way the second will be in the fridge friday night and I will decant and set out before I start on saturday.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
cuart682
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My typical brew day is usually 2 batches with 2 different types of yeast. I only have 1 stir plate and what I do is make starters in 2 different flasks each with its own stir bar and put one on the stir plate for a few hours and then whenever I go to check on my starters I swap them back and fourth to keep them stired. This process works very good for me I usually build the starter 1-2 days before brew day and never put it in the fridge just dump the entire starter and usually get good fermentation within 8-12hr.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
mo_feezy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

good to know. That was the other option I considered. I may still do it this way so I can make the starters at the same time.