Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Equipment list, anything missing?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
CityOChampBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would recommend a scale that can handle more than just 11lbs as it can grow with your desire to make more or bigger beers. Plus it will have other uses say for shipping.

Kegged empty

Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would also pick up a few extra air locks and convert a couple into blow off tubes(air lock with a 1/2 tube in the center) that way if you have a vigorous fermentation you will not have a mess. I see you also plan on buying a racking cane and an auto-siphon.. why both?

Kegged empty

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

It would probably be good to mention that even if you have no temp control setup, it will still be beer. It's better beer if you have a temp control setup, but it's still beer if you don't.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could make your own wort chiller for about $30. I just used 25' of 1/2" copper refrigeration tubing, coiled it around one of my kegs, bought a sink/hose adapter attachment, a few clamps, and some vinyl tubing. I made it on my first BIAB batch. It fits in my 40qt pot perfectly and cools to pitching temp in about 10-15 minutes depending on the time of year.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennis View Post
You could make your own wort chiller for about $30. I just used 25' of 1/2" copper refrigeration tubing, coiled it around one of my kegs, bought a sink/hose adapter attachment, a few clamps, and some vinyl tubing. I made it on my first BIAB batch. It fits in my 40qt pot perfectly and cools to pitching temp in about 10-15 minutes depending on the time of year.
Would LOVE to know where you get 25' of 1/2 copper refrigeration tubing for around $20 (fittings will cost at least $10). Plumbing (water) tubing is more than that, and refrigeration tubing is even more......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UPVuSvI5iSo

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
It would probably be good to mention that even if you have no temp control setup, it will still be beer. It's better beer if you have a temp control setup, but it's still beer if you don't.
True dat.

The problem at my house is that, except for a few months out of the year (like right now), I've got the A/C running and the thermostat set at 75. Setting it lower would greatly increase my already high electric bill.

I could indeed make some beer fermenting in a closet at that ambient temp, but I'd be wasting my time, effort and money unless I did swamp cooling, ice bottles in a tub, wet T-shirt or one of the other techniques that requires regular attendance. No thanks.

My point to the OP is to patiently take the time to successfully address fundamental factors and to become familiar/comfortable with the process before ramping it up so soon. He's already had a problem with keeping small children out of his fermentation. A fridge/freezer would help him with that since he can latch/lock it if needed.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

You always have the option of doing 5 gallon extract batches instead of jumping to all-grain right away. But if you get the stuff for the BIAB you will have everything you need for extracts as well. I dont think you need the auto-siphon and a racking cane. Its repetitive. All you need is the Auto-Siphon and the tubing for it. Wort chiller is great too. Temperature control for an ale can be as easy as finding a spot in the house or garage that stays between 65-75 or so. If youre going to use the PET bottles that came with the Mr. Beer you will need more of them but if not you will need a capper. There a lots of little items out there that make brewing easier but not needed like a bottle rinser but you can get by without them. I really recommend doing the extract kits for bit. Everything you need for the beer minus the equipment is in the box with these. Plus they have instructions that will help get you in the process of how things work and additions. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Would LOVE to know where you get 25' of 1/2 copper refrigeration tubing for around $20 (fittings will cost at least $10). Plumbing (water) tubing is more than that, and refrigeration tubing is even more......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UPVuSvI5iSo
It was at a local hardware store the next town over from me. I did this about a year ago and if I remember right it all came in at $32. Yes, the most expensive part was the copper, which was around $25, but it didn't come in a pre-packaged coil, it was by the foot. I used tubing and a clamp on the end that the cold water comes out from the coil, no need for a fitting there. I used one stainless steel faucet to garden hose attachment which was a few dollars and then a garden hose attachment with a tapered end, which I actually found in the camping section and was a few dollars. I priced it at Home Depot and Lowes and then on a whim went to the local hardware store and for once it was cheaper to buy locally and improvise a bit.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Lakesidebrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

To do some temperature control - Limited control that is.

Go to a TSC (Tractor Supply) or sometimes Home Depot has them.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tub-24-...cattle-2512736
They are called Mash Tub's or similar.

I use a Mash Tub and put it in a location that is COOL and Dark. Fill it with Cool Water and use an Aquarium Heater and set it at the lowest temperature of 68. I keep my house around 70 degrees year round. 68 Winter / 72 Summer ish... If my beer starts to rise in temp I can throw in a little ice and swirl it around to cool the water down to the range where the heater tries to warm it up...

Good thing is my beer stays within about 2 degrees of where I like it at 68.

That is until the in-laws visit and love to play with the thermostat in the house.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #20
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennis View Post
It was at a local hardware store the next town over from me. I did this about a year ago and if I remember right it all came in at $32. Yes, the most expensive part was the copper, which was around $25, but it didn't come in a pre-packaged coil, it was by the foot. I used tubing and a clamp on the end that the cold water comes out from the coil, no need for a fitting there. I used one stainless steel faucet to garden hose attachment which was a few dollars and then a garden hose attachment with a tapered end, which I actually found in the camping section and was a few dollars. I priced it at Home Depot and Lowes and then on a whim went to the local hardware store and for once it was cheaper to buy locally and improvise a bit.
Excellent buy (even a year ago)!