Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Belgian (corked) bottles recorked with wine corks?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Hovik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Belgian (corked) bottles recorked with wine corks?

Hi guys,
I have consumed a number of Unibroue ales this winter (La Fin Du Monde and the Trader Joe's labeled 2012 Vintage Ale). I saved the bottles which are corked in the Belgian style hoping I would think of some use for them. I have an apple wine and Pumpkin Pie Spiced Mead which I need to bottle and was wondering if I could use my wine corker and some #8 wine corks in these bottles? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance. H

Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
lowtones84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 391

The wine corker may work, but the corks are definitely different. I don't recall the particular size but they're not wine corks. Do you have a hand corker for your wine or a floor corker?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
rayfound
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I too have a similar problem.

Some reading suggests that the plastic champagne stoppers may work. Please let me know if you try.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
lowtones84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Supposedly they do. I like Belgian beers a lot so I just bought a corker. You can find the Colonna capper/corker on e-bay for around $60 sometimes. You have to do a couple of little tricks to use it for the Belgian style cork but it works and I've been very happy with it. I end up bottling like 5-6 of many batches in Belgian bottles with corks and hoods regardless of it's a Belgian style or not, just to be fancy

I've heard that the plastic champagne stoppers work as well but that they can be a little tricky.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
FermentNEthinG
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 2371

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cork...corker-137529/

I use this corker and this tech to bottle my belgians now.

I used those plastic champagne corks in my belgian bottles for some apple cider I did about 4 years ago. (Lindemans bottles) I am still opening bottles that are tasting amazing. I haven't experienced any oxidation so far. I just finished off a bottle 2 weeks ago. You need to line them up and push them in with even pressure or they won't go in without a Fight. They are very snug but that is a good thing. Wine and mead should be no problem without carbonation.