Wyeast 3787, email from Wyeast - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3787, email from Wyeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Jeepaholic
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Grain valley, Mo.
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts



Today I got a email from Wyeast about 3787 Trappist high gravity. i thought I would share.

What I wrote:
Yesterday I pitched a starter of 3787 Trappist high gravity into a 5 gallon batch of beer I fear may be to big for it now. I stepped it up with 2, 2 liter starters for approximately 300 billion cells. My expected original gravity was 1.072 but I ended up with 1.090. While that wouldn't worry me I still plan to add 4 more pounds of sugar for about a 36 point increase in gravity. I plan to add this along with another dose of energizer and nutrient when the wort hits 1.040. This will take the beer to about 14% abv. This yeast is advertised to tolerate 12%+, how much + is there? Can it hit 14%?

The answer:
I think you can hit 14%, but you should probably make another starter to add at about the same time you dose the extra sugar. This would be your best bet for a smooth fermentation.

It just so happens I did an experiment to see if I could grow the yeast that was stuck to the sides of the flask after pitching it. I used a 1 liter 1.020 starter that I let run for 2 days until it was finished. then stepped it up with a 2 liter starter that finished today. I now have a 1/2" layer of yeast that i'm going to pitch tonight. After I pitch it I'm going to do the same process and step it back up so I still have some, so far I'm loving this yeast. It floculates faster and harder than any other yeast I have ever seen.

Marcus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Jeepaholic
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Grain valley, Mo.
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I'm wondering if anybody has tried pushing 3787 this far. I'm currently sitting at 1.030 for about 12.7% ABV. fermentation has slowed way down. I would really like to get this to 1.010-1.015. Does any body think its possible? Or should I get a starter of white labs 099 ready to finish this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,465
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


What temp are you at? Heat it up a bit to get her moving again. I'm sure people have pushed this yeast upwards of fifteen percent ABV. I don't know that for a fact, but I guarantee it's been done.
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Jeepaholic
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Grain valley, Mo.
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
What temp are you at? Heat it up a bit to get her moving again. I'm sure people have pushed this yeast upwards of fifteen percent ABV. I don't know that for a fact, but I guarantee it's been done.
I have been sitting at 80 for 2 days. It has been fermenting for 8 days. I started it at 65 and began increasing it 1 degree two to three times daily.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Polboy
 
Polboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


3787 is my house belgian yeast, i never used it for anything higher than 10.5% ABV but im always getting attenuation over 90% with this strain (simple sugar additions+low temp mash). In my hands this strain can take a while to finish last few points (like 90% of fermentation done in 4-6days and than two more weeks to finish completely) so i would definitively wait (and monitor SG every several days) before adding 099

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Portland, OR
Posts: 1,634
Liked 181 Times on 167 Posts


You're 8 days in and worried with a beer this big? Wait and be patient. Ask again when at least 3-4 weeks have passed. It'll probably work, but give it time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Posts: 5,981
Liked 1196 Times on 815 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
3787 is my house belgian yeast, i never used it for anything higher than 10.5% ABV but im always getting attenuation over 90% with this strain (simple sugar additions+low temp mash). In my hands this strain can take a while to finish last few points (like 90% of fermentation done in 4-6days and than two more weeks to finish completely) so i would definitively wait (and monitor SG every several days) before adding 099

I have had the same experience with 3787. I use it a lot and always find that it takes off fast but takes it's time getting the last few points of attenuation. Often you will think that it is done, but it is in fact just very slowly working.

Give it some more time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Jeepaholic
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Grain valley, Mo.
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Thank you guys. This is my first big beer. I will go down this morning give it a pep talk. Go back in a couple of weeks a recheck.
One more question, how long can I leave it I'm primary on the yeast at 80 degrees?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Polboy
 
Polboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepaholic
Thank you guys. This is my first big beer. I will go down this morning give it a pep talk. Go back in a couple of weeks a recheck.
One more question, how long can I leave it I'm primary on the yeast at 80 degrees?
Thanks
3-4weeks is standard for me. My fermentation schedule is 64 for 2-3 days then 68 till day 5-6 then 75 till done. Once i fermented hot in 80 and i didnt like it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Posts: 5,981
Liked 1196 Times on 815 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
3-4weeks is standard for me. My fermentation schedule is 64 for 2-3 days then 68 till day 5-6 then 75 till done. Once i fermented hot in 80 and i didnt like it

I usually go a little longer than that, 5-6 weeks, but that fermentation schedule is good. Too hot too fast is not good.

I just give it a little more time to be fully sure that it is done. It can fool you sometimes because it slows down at the end.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wyeast 3787 hogwash Fermentation & Yeast 3 10-08-2012 01:11 AM
Wyeast 3787 dawgman Fermentation & Yeast 2 02-13-2011 11:28 PM
Wyeast 3787 lyacovett Fermentation & Yeast 6 05-11-2010 08:09 PM
Wyeast 3787 Mantis Fermentation & Yeast 12 11-04-2009 10:23 PM
wyeast 3787: What else can it do? uuurang Recipes/Ingredients 7 06-21-2007 02:29 AM


Forum Jump