Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Made in USA Brew Kettle?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
likeybikey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Made in USA Brew Kettle?

Can anyone offer suggestions on a made-in-America brew kettle? Looking for a 10-gallon (or thereabouts) pot, hopefully with spigot. Other doo-dads (thermometer, etc) are less important to me.

I know there is a Polar Ware pot made in the USA (42-quart), and homebrewstuff.com sells a 10-gallon pot that is made in the USA by an Asian company called Thunder Group. Anything else out there?

Lastly, any thoughts on the quality of these US-made pots vs the Asian-made pots? The newish line of Bayou Classic pots looks pretty nice, but I'm willing to pay a little more if the American-made equipment is good.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I'm in the market for a pot myself, I though I read something here that Blichmann where made in the states? not sure about that?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
likeybikey
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I emailed a reseller about Blichmann and was told that, nice as their pots may be, they are made overseas. (Though I have not used either, I am a little more attracted to the Bayou Classic I mentioned in my first post because I think I would prefer the volume markings as indentations in the kettle over the Blichmann kettle's glass gauge.)

That said, still hoping to find an American-made product that will fit the (grain) bill!
Weezy Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 81

We're 100% with buying American unfortunately when it comes to kettles it may be tricky.

There is A LOT of work that goes into making a kettle and stainless steel ain't cheap. The excessive amount of labor to make just one kettle makes it not very cost effective here in the States.

Polarware used to make a US made kettle. But to cut costs the handles are only spot welded on and are much thinner material (if I remember they are like 22 gauge).

SS Brew Tech, Stout, Bayou and us import our kettles from China. The kettles are just much higher quality. Unlike other companies we do all our modifying here in the USA. All our couplers are welded on by us in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

-Ben

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
jamesmrea
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The Brewhemoth Wortmonger advertises made in the USA.http://brewhemoth.com/wortmonger-kettle-15-gallon

So was their Penrose.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmrea View Post
The Brewhemoth Wortmonger advertises made in the USA.http://brewhemoth.com/wortmonger-kettle-15-gallon

So was their Penrose.
That is the Update International kettle which is made in China. Some kettle as the MegaPot, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Are you saying they are falsely advertising that it's made in the USA?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Ajgeo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Almost all of the available kettles are from China. Ben is not the only vendor that modifies the Chinese "concord" kettles in the US. It would appear that Brewer's Hardware is selling the same kettle in a weldless version. Their premium kettles look pretty nice too. Or you could just buy the concord kettles at considerable savings on ebay and build your own.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Kyled93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmrea View Post

So was their Penrose.
I can vouch for the Penrose kettles. They use the same material that comes off their assembly line. The kettles are a side business as they manufacture liquid O2 containers.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Are you saying they are falsely advertising that it's made in the USA?
I'm not going to accuse anyone misrepresenting intentionally, especially not Penrose. I know their old kettles were made in the USA so maybe the image got carried over? Either way I'm 99% sure those are the Update International kettles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajgeo View Post
Almost all of the available kettles are from China. Ben is not the only vendor that modifies the Chinese "concord" kettles in the US. It would appear that Brewer's Hardware is selling the same kettle in a weldless version. Their premium kettles look pretty nice too. Or you could just buy the concord kettles at considerable savings on ebay and build your own.
We do not use Concord kettles. We use kettles that are thicker and held to a much higher standard. All welds are done at our facility in the US.