Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > White or Red Wheat?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Kayos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default White or Red Wheat?

Brewing a hefe. The AHS site has red and white wheat. The red is German, the white is American. Which do I want for a German hefe? I know that sounds obviuos, but it sounds like the red wheat may be a little darker or different flavor than I have had in the past.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Different brewers (home brewers and commercial brewers) have their reasons for red or white wheat in a brew. My experience is that it does not make a difference. The red wheat will not add significantly to the final color and I can not taste a flavor difference in my beers or commercial beers made with each. I tend to use more white malted wheat due to it's availability, but it your choice.

Dr Malt

Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used them both in two different batches of the same recipe when I first went to AG I didn't realize there was a difference so I just grabbed a bag that said wheat at the lhbs and when I opened it realized the red wasn't what I used last time and liked. Long story short I agree with Dr Malt it doesn't make much difference if at all.