Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hydrometer vs. Refractometer Reading

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 318

In line with what bobby_m states about evaporative concentrations, I have noticed that if you are reusing the same spoon/tool for your samples then you need to make sure and rinse/dry it between uses because during the time between samples the wort can evaporate its liquid component leaving a high-sugar concentration dry layer on the spoon. If this same spoon/tool is quickly dipped for another sample then that high-sugar layer goes back into solution to create a higher-than-actual wort sugar concentration leading to increased refractometer readings.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Quattlebaumpt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well i have noticed that any and i mean any particles like hops or grain pieces are in that little drop it throws off the entire reading. It's to much of a pain in the ass to use because of that. But maybe i am doing something wrong? i just pull a little and chilled to desired temp and take a hydro reading. Works every time. refractometer was a waste of $$ for me

Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Well, it depends on how you look at refractometer use. I use it during fly sparging to make sure I'm not oversparging. There's no way in hell I'm going to keep collecting 3 ounces and putting it in an ice bath for 5 minutes a bunch of times during the sparge. Even if the instrument is giving me slightly skewed readings at this stage, I'm looking for approximately 3 brix or 1.010 to know when to stop. I don't care if it's 3.4 brix or 1.008 actual.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.