Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > My first brew

Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
tpurnick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default My first brew

I just fermented my first ale and think I may have either done something wrong.

The recipe called for 7 pounds of light DME but the OG was only 46. The recipe said it would be around 70.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds to me like your volume was was to high. I'm a newbie as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
tpurnick
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon View Post
Sounds to me like your volume was was to high. I'm a newbie as well.
Now that I think about it, I topped off the last bit of water and did not shake it up after that. I think my reading was deluted down.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should be good though alcohol will be 0.5% or so lower but should still be good. There are pluses to topping off (less chance of oxidation). But just make your pre-boil a bit bigger next time. My first batch was 5.5 gal. My second was 4.6 gal. I didn't top off but left it ride. 4 beers in volume didn't matter as much to me as hitting my numbers.

Let me know how it turns out. Are you whole leaf hopping or using pellets? I don't know if I can find whole hops here in MS. Planning on visiting the lhbs for the first time in a few weeks.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
tpurnick
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon View Post
You should be good though alcohol will be 0.5% or so lower but should still be good. There are pluses to topping off (less chance of oxidation). But just make your pre-boil a bit bigger next time. My first batch was 5.5 gal. My second was 4.6 gal. I didn't top off but left it ride. 4 beers in volume didn't matter as much to me as hitting my numbers.

Let me know how it turns out. Are you whole leaf hopping or using pellets? I don't know if I can find whole hops here in MS. Planning on visiting the lhbs for the first time in a few weeks.
Thanks BadDeacon. I used pellets on this. It called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2 oz Columbus for the last 5. I have an oz of columbus to dry hop with as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
JoCoPoboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just out of curiosity did you calibrate the hydrometer?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
tpurnick
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoPoboy View Post
Just out of curiosity did you calibrate the hydrometer?
I checked it at 60 degrees with water and it was at 1.000. I am still thinking that I took a sample of topoff water. I guess I could check it again in the morning, but I don't want to open it up any more than I have to.