That's Right, I'm in the Club Now - Best Start Showing Me Some Respect - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > That's Right, I'm in the Club Now - Best Start Showing Me Some Respect

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #51
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Also, while we're on the topic of the BJCP tasting exam, quick question for anyone who might know. Are you treating the exam as if you were judging in a real competetion? For example, they hand me a beer and tell me to judge it as a pilsner but it pours dark and smells roasty. Now, the judging manual says to ask the organizer if the beer was accidentally placed in the wrong flight, so would you do that in the exam? For the same situation, would you still somehow find a way to give it the traditional minimum score of 13 or give it the score it deserves? Thanks.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #52
weirdboy
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 485 Times on 393 Posts

Yes, although the beers won't be that obviously wrong so it shouldn't come up, HOWEVER what you should probably do is put appropriate comments in the "overall" section about how this might do better entered as a _____. You will likely get at least one beer of the low teens variety, though. I seem to recall that the lowest score you ought to give on the exam is a 13. In fact it might say something to that effect somewhere in the test instructions. Our "horrible" beer was actually kind of a tough one because one of the proctors gave it a relatively high score--something like low-mid 20's, while the other one gave it a low score, and then when they discussed the beer the consensus score ended up being fairly high (low to mid 20's) thus skewing everyone's score for that beer.

As I recall, that beer was horrible in many ways. It was a diacetyl bomb, it had pretty strong acetaldehyde, no carbonation, and the bitterness was way off style.

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #53
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

Thanks. I've been meaning to ask someone that for a couple weeks now, but every time I get online I keep forgetting. Cheers!

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #54
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Congrats. (to all who have been certified)

I'd like to, but I am a terrible student.

For now I'll be content to stand on the other side of the judging table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TitsUp_Plaque.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	94756

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #55
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

Can I join the club now, or do I have to wait until I have certificate and pin in hand? I got an e-mail today saying I am a Recognized judge and that my materials should be here within a week.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #56
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Sep 2011
!, !
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Congratulations,but until you have proof you're honorary!

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Can I join the club now, or do I have to wait until I have certificate and pin in hand? I got an e-mail today saying I am a Recognized judge and that my materials should be here within a week.
Congratulations!!!

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #58

For me personally I think Grocho Marx said it best "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member"

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #59
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3691 Times on 3171 Posts

Well,since I took only 10 years to win best in class at Midwest Mazdafest in 2010 (94 Probe SE tuner),Maybe I should take a shot at this?!? I've been thinking about giving it my best shot. but what would they think about my warped way of arriving at the same styles?
Seriously though,how hard can it be beyond a good memory?...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #60
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Well,since I took only 10 years to win best in class at Midwest Mazdafest in 2010 (94 Probe SE tuner),Maybe I should take a shot at this?!? I've been thinking about giving it my best shot. but what would they think about my warped way of arriving at the same styles?
Seriously though,how hard can it be beyond a good memory?...
It's less about memory and more about tuning your palate to detect the multitude of different types of flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and all the combinations thereof. True, for the exam you don't get the style guidelines in front of you so there's a bit of memory involved, but I would say your perceptive and descriptive abilities are far more important than memory.

Inhopsicated on Twitter