That's Right, I'm in the Club Now - Best Start Showing Me Some Respect - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > That's Right, I'm in the Club Now - Best Start Showing Me Some Respect

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #31

For those taking the test or thinking about taking the test, here's some advice on how to prepare:

1) know the guidelines well enough and then practice tastings from beers that are near to each other in the guidelines; for example, we did a tasting of ordinary bitter, special bitter, and extra special bitter (ESB) and filled out judging sheets on each of them;

2) know the off-flavor compounds and work on being able to perceive and identify them

3) practice describing what you are tasting, regardless of the style guidelines; become comfortable with descriptive words and apply them to what you are tasting

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I hope my comments have always showed the respect I have for you, if not, I apologize, oh judge!!!! I mean "Your Honor!"
No, you've always been great, its all these other SOBs

BobbiLynn Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
I've got my exam on Saturday. Any pointers for me or just a general what to expect? Thanks.
Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it, you'll do fine!

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop_Hero View Post
I meant how long from the time you started pursuing being bjcp certified till you got certified.
I took the online test in March 2012, the tasting exam in July and received my packet last week.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #35
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it, you'll do fine!
Thanks! I think I'm going to do a last minute off flavor panel later in the week with as many off flavors as I can easily get a hold of, just so they're all fresh in my mind.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Thanks! I think I'm going to do a last minute off flavor panel later in the week with as many off flavors as I can easily get a hold of, just so they're all fresh in my mind.
Speaking of off-flavors, one of the beers at our test was a Bohemian Pilsner and it turned out to be Pilsner Urquell (the commerical beer, not a handmade clone) - badly skunked!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #37
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts

For what it's worth, I took the test a year ago (one of the last full essay/tasting combined exams) end of January, and got my results back in I want to say end of July or early August.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
For what it's worth, I took the test a year ago (one of the last full essay/tasting combined exams) end of January, and got my results back in I want to say end of July or early August.
Its interesting, we had no essays, but we did have to taste and evaluate twice as many beers as the combined exam. I like this system - to get more judges into the system with an entrance exam and a tasting exam. Then, if you want to progress further, you need to gain experience and take a written exam with essays.

I'm not even going to think about the essay exam for a couple of years. Get some experience judging and see what happens, what feels right. I very well might get quite comfortable judging a couple of times a year and leave it at that.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

I think the real story here is that a disproportionate number of homebrewers have the first name "James".

With the acquisition of Pappers_ and Homercidal, "James" dominates the mod category as well.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I think the real story here is that a disproportionate number of homebrewers have the first name "James".

With the acquisition of Pappers_ and Homercidal, "James" dominates the mod category as well.

And don't forget handsome - named James and handsome.