Receipts - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Receipts

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

I hate receipts. If I want a ****ing receipt, I'll ask for one. Business expenses and large purchases are times when I want a receipt. I do not want one for every transaction I make. I got a receipt handed to me for a donut the other day. I'm pretty sure there was a Mitch Hedberg bit on exactly that situation. I had a gas station clerk threaten to call the police on me for not taking my receipt for a GATORADE. I am not exaggerating. I politely said "no thanks" and he went nuts, screaming and yelling. (extreme example, the guy might have been insane)

I dread the end of every transaction now because most clerks just hand you the receipt, and you're forced to say no. Not a big deal? It shouldn't be, except for 1) you should ask if I want one, not just hand it to me. That's what I did when I worked in a coffee shop for four years. 2) for some reason a lot of clerks get put off when you decline the stupid ****ing receipt they are shoving at you for your $2 purchase you just made, as if you're insulting them. I always say it politely, but it doesn't matter.

I know this seems childish to rant about this, but I am at the end of my rope on this. This happens to me at least once a day, every day, for years. Half the time I end up taking the damn thing because I don't want to have to refuse it, and then I have to search for a trash can. Also, it's a huge waste of paper. This has been tearing at me for years.

I want it to end, so badly that I'm contemplating wearing a tag that says "No receipts" so I can just point to it. Or actually starting to be impolite. I think from now on I am going to just walk away when some schmuck is waving one in my face for the $1 Arizona can I just bought.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Liked 223 Times on 159 Posts

"We do not need to bring ink and paper into this." -Mitch Hedberg
1. Oatmeal Stout 2. Oatmeal Stout 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 28 gallons of beer & 2.5 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Helles, Kentucky Common

Current batch #: 227

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
suorangeguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Montour Falls, New York
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

http://youtu.be/gWx6uA5aCrE

Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

Opposite position.

I want my receipts, and I don't want to have to ask for them. I keep track of where I spend my money - it goes slower when you know what you spend and where (at least in my experience).

My daughter saves all her receipts (I discard after recording) - TRUE story - it saved her from a legal hassle. A friend's mom insisted my daughter broke into her house and stole items She had an exact time of the incident, and filled out a warrant. My daughter had a receipt with a time-stamp - she was in the Walmart at the time of the crime. The woman is a head case with paranoid schizophrenia, but that's another issue.

so...receipts can be useful - not to prove you had a doughnut, but where you were.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Zarusse2
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To me it's like the clerk is saying, here throw this away for me. Rather annoying but I generally throw it away in the trash can behind their counter on my pass by if I can. That or I leave it on the counter.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

When making tiny purchases I pretty much always just ask them to throw the recipt away for when they go to hand it to me or even before it finishes printing. I have never once had anyone give me even the slightest attitude about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 211 Times on 164 Posts

I hate bags. Why the f*ck do cashiers feel the need to bag everything?!?
A greeting card...really? You're right, there's no way I could lug one of those out to my car without a bag for it.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5530 Times on 4678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Opposite position.

I want my receipts, and I don't want to have to ask for them. I keep track of where I spend my money - it goes slower when you know what you spend and where (at least in my experience).

My daughter saves all her receipts (I discard after recording) - TRUE story - it saved her from a legal hassle. A friend's mom insisted my daughter broke into her house and stole items She had an exact time of the incident, and filled out a warrant. My daughter had a receipt with a time-stamp - she was in the Walmart at the time of the crime. The woman is a head case with paranoid schizophrenia, but that's another issue.

so...receipts can be useful - not to prove you had a doughnut, but where you were.
This. It hasn't happened to me, but it could. Or something like it.

I also like to fold and tear paper. I should be good at origami, but I'm not.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Opposite position.

Dude...online banking, ever hear of it?

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 374 Times on 222 Posts

Quote:
Opposite position.

Put everything on a credit card and you don't need a reciept to prove where you were, just a printout of your statement. "Oh, look. I was at Walmart at the time, and stopped for gas at ___ on the way home."

I don't even keep receipts for the big-ticket purchases. Virtually any store now, if you pay by credit card, can look up the purchase history of that card. I've walked into Menards and looked up a receipt for an item I purchased two years ago before. Some of the local gas station clerks and grocery store cashiers don't even ask me anymore. If they do ask, I'll refuse it and just tell them "It's just going to end up on the floor of my truck anyway, you throw it away".

rexbanner Likes This