Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Ribs

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
headbanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron99 View Post
For pig-cicles only. Wash and pat dry, light rub with olive oil. Smear on yellow mustard, yes you read that right. You won't taste it. Sprinkle on garlic, black pepper, and almost any pork rub (I make my own). When that is good and rubbed in, spread on some black-strap molasses and rub that in. I like a fair amount.
Cook high over a red oak fire for about 2.5-3 hours. You won't believe it. Be careful with the black pepper, it will really come through.
Squeeze butter (parkay) works well too if you don't like mustard.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #22
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would stick with the mustard. After 3-5 hours of smoking the mustard flavors are gone, it cam withstand the time. Using butter I think would also be fine, I've just always read to use mustard as the "bonding agent."

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
mglouis
Recipes 

The most common mistake in bbq is under cooking.

I suggest learning to make ribs in the oven (a smokeless smoker). Rub them in salt and pepper and put them in at 225 for 4 hours. For the last hour baste them with a thin sauce 2 -4 times to get a caramelized top. You know they are done when you pick them up in the center with a spatula and the meat starts to break apart. This is called the lift test. If they actually fall apart then they are overdone in the eye of a bbq judge but great for eating. In any case the bone will pull clean.

Ribs are very unforgiving when cooked at too high a temperature, however you can smoke them 12 hours without ruining them if the temp is too low. 5 hours is a common cook time.

After you prove to yourself you can make perfectly cooked ribs then making them phenomenal is an easy upgrade.

1. Use a smoker and don't ever go over 225.
2. Remove the membrane because membranes aren't food and bring nothing of value to the party.
3. Rinse the meat, pat dry then add your favorite rub. In Texas we like peppery flavors. Eastern southern folk like them sweet.
4. Leave the lid closed. Don't peak. Let them cook.
5. If the temp is too low and you've opted to end with a baste then you may find your ribs look perfect but aren't tender enough to pass the lift test then wrap them in some foil with some homebrew (water works too) and let them finish cooking. The bark will be fine.

I like St Louis cut because I don't like spitting out cartilage balls that invariably end up in my mouth when eating untrimmed spares. There's just too much gristle in spares for my taste. Presentation is nice too. Google how to trim spares into St Louis and you'll likely save some money buying meat. I also buy them in the bag and let them "wet age" until a week after the expiry date. All hard wood, except cedar and pine, will smoke a good rib so go with what's available. In my neck it's mostly pecan, oak and mesquite.

By the way, the oven was merely meant to compare a smokeless oven to a smokey one. What the oven gives you is a bullet proof way to hold temp and there's value in that if you are still learning how to manage a firebox. Learning to hold a stable temp in a smoker can be done without any meat at all.

Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #24
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4842 Times on 2894 Posts
Likes Given: 4057

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglouis View Post
The most common mistake in bbq is under cooking.

I suggest ...
What a great post. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6975 Times on 5900 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
What a great post. Thanks.
Yeah, i think he needs to post a little more often!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #26
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post

Yeah, i think he needs to post a little more often!
Damn right, and maybe add some pictures next time.

Btw the oven is definitely your friend, especially if you have a cold smoker.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #27
BrewerE
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...ribs_ever.html read it, read it again, read the recipe/process on pork butts (to understand why you want to stay under 250* with your smoker and get the pork up to around 190*) and use the memphis dust rub

I've done these twice in my new-fangled 'refrigerator' style electric smoker
and
they
are
AWESOME!!!

The second time was better than the first, but hey, that's kinda like starting out brewing.

No, really, trust me (and the author of that site) on the temp thing, I do a ton of cooking and the first thing I thought was "that's going to be super over cooked". It's not. They are firm, tender, and pull right off the bones with your teeth (since you've disolved some of the connective tissue) and taste rediculous.

After you've done them once or twice, you can tweak the dust for more heat or what have you.

mmmmm.....ribs and beeeer....

Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #28
mglouis
Recipes 

Amazingribs might be the best website in the world (that's not beer related).