First brew day, today-Whey - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew day, today-Whey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
dtfleming
 
dtfleming's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 115
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts



Did my first extract brew today. A Bavarian Hefewezin, Everything pretty much went ok and its now sitting in the fermentator. Two things got me. I should have really heated up the LME, when I went to add the first 3lbs, it was still pretty thick. Second, was my nozzle was stuck on my garden hose when I went to hook it up to my wort chiller. I'm def. glad I decided to make my own wort chiller.

Ready to do my next brew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
!, !
Posts: 1,286
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Congrats on the first brew.What do you have planned for the second batch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
allenH
 
allenH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Sanford, Florida
Posts: 4,308
Liked 2680 Times on 1578 Posts


Welcome to the hobby/obsession. I used to heat a large pot of water and submerge the LME in it, it makes pouring much easier. While you are fermenting, research late addition (lme/dme) for your next brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
dtfleming
 
dtfleming's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 115
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
Congrats on the first brew.What do you have planned for the second batch?
Either NB caribou slobber or a nut brown ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
Welcome to the hobby/obsession. I used to heat a large pot of water and submerge the LME in it, it makes pouring much easier. While you are fermenting, research late addition (lme/dme) for your next brew.
Thanks, that's a good idea.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,779
Liked 1761 Times on 1399 Posts


Have you picked up your extra fermenters yet? If you had 3 fermenters you could do the nut brown ale next weekend and Cariboo Slobber the next. The following weekend you could bottle your Hefewiezen and you'd be well on your way to having a steady supply of your own beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
dtfleming
 
dtfleming's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 115
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Have you picked up your extra fermenters yet? If you had 3 fermenters you could do the nut brown ale next weekend and Cariboo Slobber the next. The following weekend you could bottle your Hefewiezen and you'd be well on your way to having a steady supply of your own beer.
^ Telepathy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
dtfleming
 
dtfleming's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 115
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Took my first hydro reading today. 1.016. Tomorrow will be two weeks fermenting. Will check it again tomorrow.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk whey AZ_IPA Cheese Making Forum 24 09-22-2013 06:53 AM
Whey is not clear, please help! cdrozda Cheese Making Forum 0 09-01-2012 08:00 PM
Whey as an ingredient landrer Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-07-2011 09:22 PM
Today- farmhouse cheddar and whey ricotta Yooper Cheese Making Forum 14 11-20-2010 04:41 PM
Purple whey? cheesenbeermmm Cheese Making Forum 2 06-20-2009 06:18 PM


Forum Jump