Making a Brewing website - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a Brewing website

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
drewN
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Would it be illegal to make a 'x'brewing.com/ca website if i wasnt an actual registered brewing company? I just want to make it for fun, taking my hobby to a website(always wanted my own website/blog). If it helps im in Canada



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts


No you can regisster any domain you like as long as you are not parking the domain name.


__________________
Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
drewN
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
No you can regisster any domain you like as long as you are not parking the domain name.
what does parking mean

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Nightshade
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts


Parking is when you buy a domain name with the intent of reselling it for a profit and not actually using it. People do this with stars names, company names, movie names etc. in anticipation of the value of the name going up or to start a bidding war.
__________________
Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
drewN
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Parking is when you buy a domain name with the intent of reselling it for a profit and not actually using it. People do this with stars names, company names, movie names etc. in anticipation of the value of the name going up or to start a bidding war.
Thank you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
markm2151
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 91
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Parking is when you buy a domain name with the intent of reselling it for a profit and not actually using it. People do this with stars names, company names, movie names etc. in anticipation of the value of the name going up or to start a bidding war.
Where's your source for this law?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
Where's your source for this law?
It's not law per se but the precedent has been set in multiple court cases.

Say I bought up britneyspears.com when she started on Disney and had some random page on it that went nowhere and had no real purpose. Then a few years later her media handlers decide they want that domain, they can show that it has sat there for x months with no real purpose, updates or content and in court I can be forced to reliquish the rights to the domain at nothing but purchased value.
__________________
Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Nightshade
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts


Here is a reference to "cybersquatting"

Quote:
Anti-Cybersquatting: ACPA and UDRP
In 1999, the U.S. government passed the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), which enables trademark holders to obtain civil damages up to $100,000 from cybersquatters. While not directly outlawing cybersquatting, it was an attempt to improve the situation.

Also in 1999, ICANN created the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) to resolve cybersquatting disputes. If not resolved, trademark holders may still take legal action under ACPA. For more information, visit www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm. See URL hijacking, page hijacking and domaining.
Taken from here http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...Domain+camping
__________________
Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Posts: 480
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts


I was thinking of starting a small hosting reseller company specifically for home brewers. I am in the biz already, so it would be simple. Would this be a good idea? I know there are plenty of free services, blogspot, etc., but if I could offer a home-brewer focused service maybe I could at least cover my costs and help,out folks like the OP. Thoughts?
__________________
------------------------------
The Alementary Home Brewery
http://www.alementary.com

Planning: RIS
Primary: dark saison holiday beer
Secondary/aging: Fruited lambic, two test American sours
On tap: Dortmunder Export, Cider
Recently Kicked: English mild

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
acidrain
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 2,062
Liked 181 Times on 156 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drewN View Post
Would it be illegal to make a 'x'brewing.com/ca website if i wasnt an actual registered brewing company? I just want to make it for fun, taking my hobby to a website(always wanted my own website/blog). If it helps im in Canada
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelyc View Post
I was thinking of starting a small hosting reseller company specifically for home brewers. I am in the biz already, so it would be simple. Would this be a good idea? I know there are plenty of free services, blogspot, etc., but if I could offer a home-brewer focused service maybe I could at least cover my costs and help,out folks like the OP. Thoughts?
Hijacker.


__________________
Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: The Bollocks ESB
Keg #3 Lawnmower APA
Fermenter: Empty
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Introductory Cider-Making Website Pappers_ Cider Forum 0 03-23-2011 04:07 AM
New Brewing Website The Pol General Beer Discussion 14 02-17-2009 08:03 AM
Great Brewing Website Marko73 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 11-22-2008 08:55 PM


Forum Jump