Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liquid malt extract

Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
kmballantine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Liquid malt extract

I just read on the container that it should be refrigerated? Anyone know how long they last at room temp or if anything happens to them if they are not refrigerated? I have a 7lb amber and 7lb hefe kit at the house now, just wanted to figure out if they should be in the fridge. Thanks!

Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Check It! CPA (Centennial Pale Ale)
Next Up: Sunglasses at Night Black IPA

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have always stored my lme at room temp. What brand of lme do you have? Maybe the kit was referring to the yeast and hops?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

If the container is sealed, room temperature is fine. If it's opened, you should refrigerate it. From Briess's literature:

Quote:
LME — Store at temperatures <90F to avoid color development and possible sensory changes. Storing in a cool, dark location helps to minimize this effect. We recommend using liquid malt extracts within 24 months from the date of manufacture for top flavor and color utilization. Store opened containers at cool temperatures to help deter the growth of mold.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

I always store LME & yeast in the fridge. Hops in the freezer. Dry stuff in the pantry. This keeps everything fresher till used.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
zeg
Recipes 

Also, I'm not sure whether a jug of LME repackaged by the HBS should be counted as opened or not. I know the extracts I've bought have been repackaged from bulk containers. They should probably be treated as opened. I doubt there's any drawback (other than fridge space) to storing it cooler than necessary.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

It keeps the LME from darkening & flavors changing like it would stored warm. Being in the fridge slows all that way down. Keeping things fresh is an important part of this hobby.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
zeg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It keeps the LME from darkening & flavors changing like it would stored warm. Being in the fridge slows all that way down. Keeping things fresh is an important part of this hobby.
Well, according to the manufacturer, unless it's been opened, it's not necessary. Presumably that means there's not enough oxygen in a factory-sealed container to worry about oxidation.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

I don't completely believe that. I got a 2 year old Cooper's OS lager can from the lhbs that was on the shelf. It darkened & the flavor changed to the "summer ale" pic in my gallery. It can be compared to the normal one in the pic "HB1". It came out looking & tasting like a session ale version of Salvator. And the can wasn't swollen or moldy. From then on,into the fridge they go. The color & flavor will change over time faster on the shelf than in the fridge.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Also, I'm not sure whether a jug of LME repackaged by the HBS should be counted as opened or not. I know the extracts I've bought have been repackaged from bulk containers. They should probably be treated as opened. I doubt there's any drawback (other than fridge space) to storing it cooler than necessary.
I would say yes, extract bought from Northern Brewer, AHS, etc should be stored in the fridge. I'm almost certain they advise it.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
kmballantine
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all of the advice. It's some extra pale liquid malt from Austin homebrew supply. I'll put it in the fridge!

Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Check It! CPA (Centennial Pale Ale)
Next Up: Sunglasses at Night Black IPA