Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Successful gervais!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Successful gervais!

I think. Followed the recipe out of Ricki's book and it seemed to turn out great. Super smooth, kinda light texture, not sour. I've never had a commercial example so I can't compare. But I spread some on a graham cracker and it was fantastic! The only problem is after a light pressing and salting she said to pack it in wax paper in a small mold. That didn't work for me at all. The wax paper didn't fold nicely, and just tore and the creamy texture didn't fill in the corners of the mold. I ended up scraping it back into the bowl where I salted it and covered it and stuck it in the fridge. Do you guys have any experience with putting a soft cheese into a mold?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3459 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

Tell me you are going to name it, "Ricki's Gervais"!!

Oh, and I think you will be fine, although it might be best to make sure there is nothing exposed to the air to dry it out.

axivanax Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Funny you should bring that up, I was searching the internet to see if anyone had posted a video on how to pack it into the mold and all it brought up was Ricky Gervais. I was a little irritated.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Blegh, second go around, same recipe, far less success. I realized that I had bought ultra-pasteurized cream last time, so this time I made sure I got regular pasteurized. I think I did everything else the same, but it didn't set very firm and about half of it ran out through the butter muslin. Any suggestions?