Where to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgates31

Reaction score
Lets just start with - I have never brewed my own beer. I am extremely curious in getting into it. Dont want to do anything to crazy. Interested in where to start. basic cost and the what not. Any help at all is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Start here: Howtobrew.com

• You don't need a secondary. You can fully ferment in one vessel.
  • A pot will be your biggest initial expense. 5 gallons is good to start with but you will want a bigger one if you decide you really like to brew.
  • Plan for 5 hours on your first brew day and 2 hours on a later date to bottle it.
  • You should be drinking your first batch in 6 weeks (3 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks bottle conditioning). Don't rush it. If you get impatient, make another batch while you wait.
  • Get a notebook and keep track of what you're doing. Write down mistakes, what you could simplify, what went well, brewing dates, etc...

Your first batch will be the best beer you will ever drink

Welcome!

I strongly recommend as a first step keeping an eye out for Midwest Homebrewing's periodic Groupon promotion. They do a starter setup + ingredients + coupon toward a future recipe kit for half the normal price.

You will need a good sized stock pot - my first batch was in a 20qt pot which worked fine for my first extract kit.

if you have a local homebrew supply store go buy a basic homebrew kit. just remember, like someone said above, you don't need a secondary. and these forums will help you immensely. don't be afraid to ask any, and every question.

Welcome! For your first brew I would recommend something simple, maybe peruse a catalog and look for kits marked easy. For equipment it's not too pricey: a fermenter, bottling bucket, airlock, auto siphon, capper, hydrometer, and a large stockpot, about $60-70 if you already have a pot. But have fun this hobby is awesome, daydreaming about it helps me get through jogging.

Thank you for the replies. I was also curious as to how to look into and see what the local laws are for brewing... I live in Salt Lake City... Curious as to what is allowed. Someone mentioned bottling it. Anyway to throw it in a keg instead of bottle's. Space is very limited and I already have a Keezer that I would have room to throw an extra keg or two in.

I know that there are some home brew shops in the Salt lake area. A friend brought me a recipe kit from one a few months ago from a place called Salt Lake City Brew Supply. I do not have an address but I hope this helps.

I know that there are some home brew shops in the Salt lake area. A friend brought me a recipe kit from one a few months ago from a place called Salt Lake City Brew Supply. I do not have an address but I hope this helps.

Thank you will have to find this place.

Back