Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > SG or FG of Cider?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
MarkKF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

Default SG or FG of Cider?

I was wondering if there are ranges of Specific Gravity (FG) associated with what we call dry, semi-dry or semi-sweet and sweetened cider?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 18

That is a very good question which I would also like to know the answer to... therefore I'm sub'd.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Found this info for some wine competition classes, it may be useful...

I. DRY WINES – Wines that have virtually no residual sugar (less than 0.5%). Specific gravity is < 1.000. Wines entered in this category have complete fermentation (not stopped by intervention of the winemaker) and have not been back-sweetened.

II. OFF-DRY WINES - Used to accompany a meal’s main course or drink by themselves. These wines are not completely dry (i.e., may be back sweetened or may have early termination of fermentation), but are too dry for a Social Wine. They have up to 1% residual sugar and less than 14% alcohol. Specific gravity is 1.000 to 1.010.

III. SOCIAL WINES - Primarily enjoyed in the evening or afternoon with snacks, but may be used with meals or any time. They typically have 1% to 4.0% unfermented sugar with less than 14% alcohol. These are commonly known as "semi-dry" or "semi-sweet" wines. Specific gravity is 1.010 to 1.025.

IV. DESSERT WINES - Full bodied, very sweet wines that are normally served at the end of a meal or with desserts or snacks. These wines contain more than 4.0% sugar and may contain over 14% alcohol. These are commonly referred to as "sweet" wines. Specific gravity is > 1.025.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23
FantasticMisterFox Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Found this info for some wine competition classes, it may be useful...

I. DRY WINES &ndash; Wines that have virtually no residual sugar (less than 0.5%). Specific gravity is < 1.000. Wines entered in this category have complete fermentation (not stopped by intervention of the winemaker) and have not been back-sweetened.

II. OFF-DRY WINES - Used to accompany a meal&rsquo;s main course or drink by themselves. These wines are not completely dry (i.e., may be back sweetened or may have early termination of fermentation), but are too dry for a Social Wine. They have up to 1% residual sugar and less than 14% alcohol. Specific gravity is 1.000 to 1.010.

III. SOCIAL WINES - Primarily enjoyed in the evening or afternoon with snacks, but may be used with meals or any time. They typically have 1% to 4.0% unfermented sugar with less than 14% alcohol. These are commonly known as "semi-dry" or "semi-sweet" wines. Specific gravity is 1.010 to 1.025.

IV. DESSERT WINES - Full bodied, very sweet wines that are normally served at the end of a meal or with desserts or snacks. These wines contain more than 4.0% sugar and may contain over 14% alcohol. These are commonly referred to as "sweet" wines. Specific gravity is > 1.025.
Each competition tends to have its own parameters. In my neck of the woods, dessert wine is a minimum of 15% ACV.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

Thanks. Anyone know where ciders such as Strongbow, Magners and Woodchuck fall?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF View Post
Thanks. Anyone know where ciders such as Strongbow, Magners and Woodchuck fall?
I'd consider them all sweet ciders.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In my opinion, anything around 1.020 is sickly sweet. I would assume a lot of the American grocery store commercial ciders would be in the neighborhood of 1.015+?

Anyone ever made a gravity measurement of these?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IIRC in another thread, UpstateMike measured one of the AO ciders around 1.030.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yes I have read multiple thread of 1.030 but in states like mine beer is only sold at 3.2 abv. So we need the sweet to hide the alcohol taste....:smh: lol

Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
IIRC in another thread, UpstateMike measured one of the AO ciders around 1.030.
Sounds about right, it was the Angry Orchard Crisp that I measured.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23