Belgian Tripel advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrewster

Reaction score
Ok so I just brewed NBs Belgian Tripel extract kit today. Accidentally added my saaz hops instead of the German hops. The recipe calls for German hops for 60min then saaz for last 15min. Ended up boiling both for 60min. My first question is how bad of a mistake was that? Anyway is there anything I should do to fix it? Any dry hop additions I should do?

I also really love delirium tremens. Was hoping to create something like it from this but I am not sure that's possible. I know that what separates delirium from the standard tripel is its spices. Should/can I add spices in secondary? Or should I just leave it as is?

I think it'll be ok, just maybe a bit more bitter than intended but I bet it will be good! I think you can add spices to secondary, coriander and such, but Belgian yeast is where most of your flavor profile should be coming from. It'll be beer and a tripel, and a learning experience

Well that's good to hear! I have been stressing a little bit about this one. This is my 3rd brew and I did a yeast starter which I am crossing my fingers on as well. Gonna be tough waiting so long for this one to ferment and bottle condition to find out how it turned out

Not really sure finishing hops do much for Belgians anyway.

The yeast is the star of this style.

It will be fine.

Ok I am doing the opposite of RDWHAHB... Since I boiled my saaz hops too long can I dry hop them in secondary? I am worried about it being too bitter now that I keep on thinking about it and I figure the cost to add some in the secondary is very little when considering the cost of the rest of the batch

That's bizarre! I accidentally added the saaz so I just add the German at the same time. How did it turn out?

The worst part about this is that I still have another week of primary before I can move it into the carboy then 2 months in there then atleast a couple weeks in the bottle until I can get an idea of how it turned out and stop worrying

Back