Since this post, and the testing of my element install and control panel wiring modification, I have completed some new modifications and an initial brew-day on the new equipment. As I mentioned previously, SWMBO and I have been temporarily in a very small apartment over the past couple years. So if you're wondering why this is all done inside my apartment and in bare-feet...well that's just how I have to roll at the moment.
The following pictures document the process:
The first order of business, prior to brewing with my new electric Boil Kettle, was the installation of a valve, dip-tube, and sight-glass/thermometer assembly and some CamLock fittings to my transfer tubing. I received my order from Bobby M and my little brother (who is a giant compared to me) and I went to work.
Center punching for pilot hole drilling. Sight-glass assembly position marked on masking tape.
Drilling pilot hole for sigh-glass assembly
Pilot hole complete
Using step-bit (for the first time) to drill 7/8" penetration
Slow and steady with the step-bit
EVOO for lubrication
One final step needed from the inside
Final step drilled from the inside (for internal side seal)
Inside of Boil Kettle after final step was drilled
A quick dry-sanding with 220 grit sand paper