Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Converting converted pin lock back to pin lock?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Barnesie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Converting converted pin lock back to pin lock?

I happened upon a slightly damaged corny that someone was giving up because it won't hold pressure. I met the person and got the free corny and it's obvious that the opening is just out of true, thus causing the lid to fail to make a seal.

I'm somewhat handy so I intend to bang this thing back into trueness and test...but when I placed it next to all my other ball-lock cornies I noticed how much shorter and fatter this guy was. Sure enough, it's a pin-lock that someone converted to ball lock.

So here's my question. Since I got this thing for free, I was thinking about extending my karma and giving it to a pin-lock friend in kind. What is involved in converting a Pin-lock keg that's been converted to Ball-lock back over to pin-lock?

Is it just as simple as changing the posts? If so, I'd gladly just keep the ball lock as spares and get this guy setup with a third keg.

Any tips?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Here's a kit that's used to convert a corny from pin to ball. You'd just need to do the reverse -- so new posts, poppits, and springs. (If the current poppits are "universal", you might be able to get away with just swapping the posts.)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, you just have to switch posts back. There are different thread sizes for Cornelius or firestone so you have to get the right posts.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6048 Times on 4309 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

I have one set of cornelius pinlocks- if you have cornelius ball locks, we could simply swap by mailing them to each other. If you have challenger/firestone/etc, then it wouldn't work.

Let me know- that would make it great for both of us!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I have one set of cornelius pinlocks- if you have cornelius ball locks, we could simply swap by mailing them to each other. If you have challenger/firestone/etc, then it wouldn't work.

Let me know- that would make it great for both of us!
Yooper, I'd totally be down for that, but I'd want to be sure I could repair this keg first. The rim on the opening is bent so it won't seal.

Let me get into it and see if I can true it back up, then I'll measure the threads to be sure we've got a match.