Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mango beer - dried fruit or concentrated juice?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
sathrovarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Mango beer - dried fruit or concentrated juice?

Hi,
My friend asked me if I can make a mango beer,
So I've looked up for a recipe and found out that some use dried mango during the brewing and some use fresh fruits in the secondary, so my question is what is better?
Also, I think about using concentrated mango juice (that is made from real mangos and no additives), so I wanted to ask how to use? 1 concentrated juice cup is used for 0.4 gallons of water to make a juice, so should I use it the same in the beer?
Also, I wanted to ask what is the best base recipe to go with? should it be wheat beer? pale ale? amber ale?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
lilsparkee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr View Post
Hi,
My friend asked me if I can make a mango beer,
So I've looked up for a recipe and found out that some use dried mango during the brewing and some use fresh fruits in the secondary, so my question is what is better?
Also, I think about using concentrated mango juice (that is made from real mangos and no additives), so I wanted to ask how to use? 1 concentrated juice cup is used for 0.4 gallons of water to make a juice, so should I use it the same in the beer?
Also, I wanted to ask what is the best base recipe to go with? should it be wheat beer? pale ale? amber ale?

Thanks
We made a mango IPA, using mango puree in secondary. Used one 40 ounce can per 5 gallon batch.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd advocate for using the juice over the dried fruit, for a lot of reasons. For example, dried fruit often tastes different than fresh fruit, dried fruit often has more chemicals, etc.