Can someone diagnose this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a perry currently in the secondary fermenter. There is a white film forming on the top. I've read about the possibility of it being film yeast, but from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look the same. Any thoughts? Am I screwed?

For what it's worth, I have a pear tree in my yard. All I did for this was grab a lot of pears, put them through my juicer, and then pitched yeast into the primary. I was stupid and added campden tablets right away, and pitched the yeast right after. It seemed to not be an issue, and I definitely got fermentation.

After a month or so, I put it in the secondary. I had pectic enzyme in the secondary for when I transferred it. Now, it seems like this film is forming and I have no clue what it is...

Thanks

20130111_231220_zps53058590.jpg

20130111_231238_zps636da198.jpg

20130111_231232_zps02ea0ce1.jpg

I can't say for sure what it might be, but it looks a little funky. If it were mine, I'd rack that off from underneath that layer and see if you can slow it down.

Depending on the taste when you rack it...might determine how you go forward. Do you know what your OG was and what the gravity was when you racked?

No, from juicing it, there was way too much pulp still in the juice to get a proper read the start so I was never able to get OG.

It tasted fine when I put it in the secondary...but I wasn't really paying attention to more than "does it taste good?" What would the taste indicate for me going forward?

If it tastes overly sour, completely off or just otherwise...nasty...you might have an infection. Unfortunately without a gravity reading you don't really know how far along it is. I'd personally rack it out from under that film just to be safe. Since you started getting this AFTER the racking (and tasting), you might have picked up something going to secondary.

Someone might be able to suggest a chemical additive to help it along, but I'd bottle it and drink it now if it's done fermenting. You just have to be careful. If it's not done fermenting and you bottle it...you could end up with some bombs.

Back