Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Moving to Arizona within 2 years - What's it like?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 522 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 3713

Default Moving to Arizona within 2 years - What's it like?

Just curious if anybody is familiar with the area: Most likely the Sedona/Jerome, basically around the Prescott Valley area. Wife is finally fed up with our long cold winters here. She spent most of December with her family in Arizona and I went down for the last 10 days of her visit. She was hooked on the area where her parents are out West of Wickenburg but I don't think I could survive the summer time heat.
I'll be 55 unless we move sooner and I'll be eligible for my State Pension minus healthcare (70% disabled Vet, VA takes care of me). I collect my Military pension and that covers my home, property tax and home insurance up here.
We are looking for something rural, 5 or more acres. Someplace where she can still go to work as a Sterile Processing Tech and have at most a 1 hour commute. She's 7 years younger than I and still wants to work and thinks I would be fine just puttering around taking care of chickens and rabbits and a little garden.

I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and we like to take road trips, especially off of the regular trails and paths and take our 3 dogs, Nitro, Nellie and Nikki. Also, this will be the first time in my life I will be further than just a few minutes from any large body of water, either the Great Lakes or an ocean, it's gonna be kind of wierd to see dry land in every direction.

Just a little but also curious, any Arizonans out there and have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about Arizona - Particularly the Prescott Valley and surrounding area? I have to admit, I enjoyed my visit there, mostly Phoenix and West/Southwest to Yuma.

Thanks,
Bryson

SSBN 641 B

Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1579 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds great! Sedona is awesome! Lots of hiking and the weather is cooler. And there's trees and stuff.
We planned to move to Phoenix, even bought a nice house there when the prices tanked, but stuff happened and I won't be moving after all. And the other part of the plan was to retire in Sedona

I'm sure someone else can give you better info about the area. Real estate was pricy in Sedona but maybe more reasonable outside city limits.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 234

If you like huntin and fishin you should be just fine man. I live in north phoenix, maybe 45 min from Wickenburg and a little over an hour from Prescott. I think Prescott is beautiful and you can be in Flagstaff or Phoenix in no time. And it is probably the best town for guns and ammo in all of AZ... I am serious... Everyone goes to Prescott for bulk ammo.....
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Phoenix here, Tucson before that (usaf). I love it here. The heat is bad your first year but when winter hits we all complain about it being 60. Yes, that is cold! Good luck on the move, Sedona is a beautiful area. Plenty of trails.
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
dangerpony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Get ready for drastic weather. It's about 20 degrees in Tucson right now and it will be 70 in 2 days. But hunting fishing and all the outdoor activities are unbeatable. Especially up north it's extremely beautiful and doesn't get as hot in Tucson or Phoenix.
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

If she's sick of cold weather, Sedona/Jerome isn't where you want to be. It gets pretty cold there.

BTW, it got below 20F in Phoenix last night...

I love it here though. I'm in my early/mid 30's and I've been here for almost 6 years. I plan on retiring here as well. Owned a house for 3 years (that's how serious I am about liking this place) and it was the first house I've ever bought. Pretty much year round it's motorcycle weather here and being that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the U.S. there's always something to do.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Subsailor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

True, but winter here is 7 - 8 months and January/February tend to be subzero for extended periods whereas winter there is what, about 2 months?
SSBN 641 B

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Oh, I didn't realize you were in Alaska. Yeah Sedona/Jerome would be great for you guys. Also, yes we have a VERY short winter (if at all) in the valley. Most years I don't even have to use a winter jacket, just hoodies and beanies. This year has been a bit different, but it's NOTHING compared to Alaska.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
GotPushrods
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I can't stand the hot part of AZ, and I'm probably in the minority on that one. They say "you don't have to shovel the heat"... my ass. I'd rather shovel snow. It's gotten worse for me every year. I truly don't understand why so many people retire to the heat. I think about the day my wife and I can leave all the time.

The cooler areas are beautiful, although I'd definitely want to be more rural. Prescott/Sedona are neat places, but you couldn't pay me to live there and be surrounded by "all that". I suppose that's another thread.

There is definitely cold and snow at elevation, but I'm sure a MUCH shorter season than Alaska. A little more sunlight in the winter, too.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Subsailor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Oh, I didn't realize you were in Alaska. Yeah Sedona/Jerome would be great for you guys. Also, yes we have a VERY short winter (if at all) in the valley. Most years I don't even have to use a winter jacket, just hoodies and beanies. This year has been a bit different, but it's NOTHING compared to Alaska.
No worries! We've actually had a strange winter this year. We did 5 weeks of subzero temps from the end of November through December and twice in the last 3 weeks we actually hit 40 degrees. Thankfully, we were in Arizona for some of this. Phoenix, Wickenburg, Wenden areas and did some exploring through Sedona and Jerome. We are also checking out the Prescott Valley area.
Last year at this time we had received nearly 9 feet of snow eventually reached a new record (in 50 years) of nearly 13 feet of snow, this year we are approaching a total 3 feet so far.

SSBN 641 B