My One Vessel AG System - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My One Vessel AG System

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #81
Skidsmint
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 60
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee

Did you squeeze the grains or do a sparge? I still have some tweaking to do on my system. My last batch was way under the OG I was hoping for. I like the recirculating idea and might steal your idea if my efficiency doesn't get more consistant.
I used the plate that Chad made and squeezed. I got a lot more sweet wort when I did that. I let it drip some more and then added that in during the boil.
__________________
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking
beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-- Deep Thought, Jack Handy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #82
blaster_54738
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eleva, WI
Posts: 481
Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Did you squeeze the grains or do a sparge? I still have some tweaking to do on my system. My last batch was way under the OG I was hoping for. I like the recirculating idea and might steal your idea if my efficiency doesn't get more consistant.
You'll still have to deal with the heat loss that he suffered. May want to look into a RIMS tube then. I sent metallhed the start of my control box, they aren't that difficult to build after you sit down and look at some wiring diagrams.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #83
wobdee
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,007
Liked 87 Times on 71 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
You'll still have to deal with the heat loss that he suffered. May want to look into a RIMS tube then. I sent metallhed the start of my control box, they aren't that difficult to build after you sit down and look at some wiring diagrams.
Since I'm brewing on a 1800w induction plate I was thinking of turning it on low and circulate with a pump to maintain temps.

I was actually pretty surprised that my mash only dropped 2 degrees in 60 min in my kettle with the lid on and I didn't even turn the heat on. Maybe I don't even need the pump and just keep it simple.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #84
blaster_54738
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eleva, WI
Posts: 481
Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Since I'm brewing on a 1800w induction plate I was thinking of turning it on low and circulate with a pump to maintain temps.

I was actually pretty surprised that my mash only dropped 2 degrees in 60 min in my kettle with the lid on and I didn't even turn the heat on. Maybe I don't even need the pump and just keep it simple.
Nah make it complicated I forgot about your induction plate. If you really wanted you could wire up a pid to that and have it turn the hot plate on and off when the temp gets low. Put the temp sensor in that open bung on your kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #85
Hermit
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,281
Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Since I'm brewing on a 1800w induction plate I was thinking of turning it on low and circulate with a pump to maintain temps.

I was actually pretty surprised that my mash only dropped 2 degrees in 60 min in my kettle with the lid on and I didn't even turn the heat on. Maybe I don't even need the pump and just keep it simple.
What size batches do you do with the 1800 induction plate and what kind of times to reach boil? I'd think that size is right on the margin. Do you insulate your kettle at all?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #86
wobdee
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,007
Liked 87 Times on 71 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
What size batches do you do with the 1800 induction plate and what kind of times to reach boil? I'd think that size is right on the margin. Do you insulate your kettle at all?
I do 2.5 gal brews so I end up boiling down 3-4 gal. I did a 6 gl boil test when I first got it and it took an hour to get it up to boil. I also need to keep the lid on to keep a good rolling boil. No insulation yet but I've been thinking about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #87
wobdee
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,007
Liked 87 Times on 71 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738

Nah make it complicated I forgot about your induction plate. If you really wanted you could wire up a pid to that and have it turn the hot plate on and off when the temp gets low. Put the temp sensor in that open bung on your kettle.
Good idea

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #88
MetallHed
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 831
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
Nah make it complicated I forgot about your induction plate. If you really wanted you could wire up a pid to that and have it turn the hot plate on and off when the temp gets low. Put the temp sensor in that open bung on your kettle.
Don't listen to Dustin.. he makes everything complicated!
__________________
Steel Horse Brewing

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

blaster_54738 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #89
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Good idea
No, bad idea. Induction plates have controller boards, they aren't like heating elements. Once you cut the power to the plate, you kill the controller board. When it cuts back on, you'll have to wait for it to complete it's start up cycle, then put the set point temperature back in. You could attempt to replace the controller board entirely, but you'd have to design a PID that can drive a PWM circuit that will in turn drive a MOSFET into some scary current ranges for the home tinkerer (around 100A p-p). Also, you'll find that the magnetic field generated sometimes can do weird things to your thermometer and make accurate readings difficult.

Source: I tried working on this problem for 6 months before giving up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #90
wobdee
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,007
Liked 87 Times on 71 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k

No, bad idea. Induction plates have controller boards, they aren't like heating elements. Once you cut the power to the plate, you kill the controller board. When it cuts back on, you'll have to wait for it to complete it's start up cycle, then put the set point temperature back in. You could attempt to replace the controller board entirely, but you'd have to design a PID that can drive a PWM circuit that will in turn drive a MOSFET into some scary current ranges for the home tinkerer (around 100A p-p). Also, you'll find that the magnetic field generated sometimes can do weird things to your thermometer and make accurate readings difficult.

Source: I tried working on this problem for 6 months before giving up.
Good to know, thanks, I think I'll stick with the KISS method.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Vessel Brew System ryandlf General Techniques 21 08-26-2013 02:14 AM
best single vessel system. FiveKaiBrewing Equipment/Sanitation 5 05-10-2012 07:20 PM
2 vessel system NoCornOrRice Equipment/Sanitation 11 01-03-2012 08:51 PM
one vessel brewing system cheese Brew Stands 21 09-01-2011 05:46 AM
dual vessel system BeechtreeBrewery Kegerators & Keezers 26 07-18-2011 07:02 PM


Forum Jump