Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can I store finished beer where I ferment?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
mhobs126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I store finished beer where I ferment?

I got a large chest freezer and a Johnson control for Christmas. It has been working well thus far. My question is once I have finished and kegged a beer is it safe to store in the freezer where my temp is constantly fluctuating for fermentation, D rests , and lagering? I have all that extra room and was wondering if it would hurt it? It would b nice to consolidate and store beer closer to serving temp.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
tootmaster2000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I had always been told that you need to keep beer at the same temp at which you fermented, at least for the 1st week or so.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I keep my full kegs anywhere I have room. Don't really worry about spoilage, good beer does not last long in my house.... The colder, the better. When the keg fridge is full I sometimes keep full kegs outside in the winter time, where it is about serving temperature anyway. Then I can just pop an already cold and carbonated keg in the fridge when one gets emptied, new keg pours perfect.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
mhobs126
Recipes 

I guess I need to explain further . I live in N Florida where it is a freezing 78F today. My wife does not want any more kegs stored in closets in the house and I brew with a friend and am usually storing 5-6 kegs around at once. That's not to include the 3 in my kegerator on tap . They really need to go in the chest freezer if they can. Or, am I going to have to by another refrigeration device.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobs126 View Post
I guess I need to explain further . I live in N Florida where it is a freezing 78F today. My wife does not want any more kegs stored in closets in the house and I brew with a friend and am usually storing 5-6 kegs around at once. That's not to include the 3 in my kegerator on tap . They really need to go in the chest freezer if they can. Or, am I going to have to by another refrigeration device.
OMG, you think 78F is freezing, move to Michigan