applejack procedures - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > applejack procedures

Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #111
BWN
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dexter, NY
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF
I started with cider, racked a few times. It was clear to start. After the first freeze. I strained off the ice. The second and third freeze only had flakey crystals. I threw all the ice away. I think if its too cold the first time with a low ABV you loose too much good stuff.
I think that was my problem I was losing too much good stuff. Oh we'll live and learn.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #112
Unferth
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Vancouver, BC
Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts

I made a gallon of pretty high gravity cyser (OG 1.014; FG 1.01; ABV est. 17%) and threw it in the freezer last night.

This morning (about 12 hrs later) there are no signs of freezing... not even ice crystals on the edges.

I don't know what my freezer temperature is but I'm thinking not terribly far below freezing. I had no trouble freeze concentrating the 12% cider before. think i need some dry ice?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #113
BWN
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dexter, NY
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I would think that if it was at 17% it is going to be hard to freeze at any temp.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #114
jeepinjeepin

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN
I would think that if it was at 17% it is going to be hard to freeze at any temp.
Here ya go. I found this little gem. It looks like getting up to 30% ABV frozen is fairly easy. Somewhere around 35-40% ABV is gonna take a colder than normal freezer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3855041613.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	101463  

Hoppy2bmerry Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #115
Unferth
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Vancouver, BC
Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts

I guess my freezer doesn't even go down to normal freezer temps, then. The damn cyser is still liquid. Argh! I'm going to find a friend with a deep freezer.

I guess it has too much alcohol in it to jack...

Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #116
60acresbrewclub
Recipes 

Sep 2014
, NJ
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

So as we get back into that time of the year, I thought I'd bump this thread and also ask a question.

Does anyone believe that adding water to cider for applejack produces a better product then using only fresh apple juice/cider?

I always thought adding water was the cheap/hoochy way of going about it until on another forum I came across a few posts insisting that water gives it superior flavor.

Many were calling for 2:1:6 ratio for gallons of cider,water,lbs sugar.

Reason: spelling

Old 09-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #117
MindenMan
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Carson City, Nv
Liked 385 Times on 298 Posts

Please post a link to those articles, I am curious why they talk about adding extra water, if that is what they are talking about. If they are using aggressive yeasts and fermenting warm, then it might make sense.. a lot of sugar will make a lot of alcohol. Since the only thing that we want to collect is alcohol and not water, the more water in the solution ratio-wise there will be less ounces of bad tasting stuff per gallon. In the real world freezer there will always be some water in your applejack, and if that water has less crap per ounce of finished product, then I can see their logic in that method.

I saw the link; they are talking about the "D" word to concentrate the alcohol, not the freezer.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #118
60acresbrewclub
Recipes 

Sep 2014
, NJ
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewt...p?f=15&t=12714

This is around the point in that conversation where it seems the people who were saying water adds flavor had several thousand posts on that board. And the folks that agreed with me only had a few posts.

Someone also linked this as aneasyrecipe forjack https:[email protected]..ack-wine-cJNRL

Reason: Didn't want to bump thread again.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #119
NibblesMN
Recipes 

Aug 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
24 proof liquor freezes at -6.7C (20F)
64 proof liquor freezes at -23.33C (-10F)
84 proof liquor freezes at -34.44C (-30F)
So since I live in Minneapolis I should be able to freeze distill to 80 proof! It probably won't be awesome, but I have to try it.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #120
MindenMan
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Carson City, Nv
Liked 385 Times on 298 Posts

In the last two years I have discovered a few things about making applejack, making a very high ABV% to start with makes applejack collection easier. Fermenting bone dry before jacking and bottling doesn't make as good of a product, the sugar needs to be there. The old recipes I have found come from a barrel of hard cider left outside in winter in New England in the late 1800s. They would collect the applejack and before bottling they would add 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal into a pint bottle, and then top up with the a/j. The kicker is, this method was used in bottles that aged for a minimum of 2 years. After bottling a slightly sweet batch by accident, and misplacing those bottles for 10 months, the results were spectacular; not sweet, not alcohol hot anymore, apple flavor that was amazing. So I now never ferment all the way out, I leave a little sweetness on purpose before bottling. I have made with an apple juice base, cran-apple jack, cherry-jack, apricot-jack, mixed berry jack, white grape jack, white grape peach jack, and many more flavor combinations. Cherry-jack needs a really long time to mellow as the tartness is almost overpowering.I have been using Pasteur Red (not champagne) yeast with great results, and just did a test batch with Irish Ale 1084 yeast using a 1.060 O.G. apple only. I ferment my ales and ciders in the low 60s F to not create any off flavors; I made a cider based starter for this batch and added nutrient as well. It took off like like a rocket, and is now almost done fermenting. I will add table sugar to this current batch to fortify the alcohol percentage after fermentation re-starts to see what I get flavor-wise. All of my other batches have been fortified with frozen juice concentrates. I have tasted a fellow cider makers' applejack, and the flavor was great. He just adds sugar to the juice and lets it go until fermentation is finished; he uses a 20% ABV strain of yeast, although I don't know which variety.