Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stone Cali-Belgique clone
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Ostomo517
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,587
Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default Stone Cali-Belgique clone

Anyone got any kinda pointers???? I need to brew this!


Ostomo517 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,080
Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

It's a decent Belgian IPA, I prefer the Raging Bitch. There's a whole Can You Brew It episode devoted to that beer.


__________________
"Good people drink good beer." -HST
bigbeergeek is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Ostomo517
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,587
Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
It's a decent Belgian IPA, I prefer the Raging Bitch. There's a whole Can You Brew It episode devoted to that beer.
I am a ag brewer but always learning, links to video? And truely I didnt know Belgi IPA was a catagory lol
Ostomo517 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
crazyirishman34
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
 
crazyirishman34's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 1,709
Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

I don't think that it is recognized yet buy the BJCP.
crazyirishman34 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 3,823
Liked 512 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

It's the stone IPA recipe with a Belgian yeast strain. There are a bunch of threads debating which one, I believe consensus was it was one of WL strains that they used on another beer. Search and you should be able to find it.

Edit: actually, check out the similar threads at the bottom of this page
chickypad is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Ostomo517
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,587
Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
It's the stone IPA recipe with a Belgian yeast strain. There are a bunch of threads debating which one, I believe consensus was it was one of WL strains that they used on another beer. Search and you should be able to find it.

Edit: actually, check out the similar threads at the bottom of this page
Sweeeeet! Thanks! Im itchin to get back home screw vacation I wanna brew!!!!!!!
Ostomo517 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,269
Liked 308 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Default

Hang on, I gotcha! It's EXACTLY the same grist as Stone IPA, fermented with WLP570.

You can read the whole story right from the horses's mouth (head brewer at stone) right here:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/...-untold-story/

Where he says they made the first cali-belgique just to make up some yeast for vertical Epic 08.08.08, which uses WLP570 as you can see here:

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm

The first post also mentions that instead of centennial late hops (in the IPA) cali-belgique uses chinook. I've taken the best clone recipe and made the substitutions for you here:

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Chinook 15 minutes
1 oz. Chinook 5 minutes

WLP090 or WLP007

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Chinook

That should get you about as close as humanly possible. Good luck!
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com
daksin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Ostomo517
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,587
Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Hang on, I gotcha! It's EXACTLY the same grist as Stone IPA, fermented with WLP570.

You can read the whole story right from the horses's mouth (head brewer at stone) right here:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/...-untold-story/

Where he says they made the first cali-belgique just to make up some yeast for vertical Epic 08.08.08, which uses WLP570 as you can see here:

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm

The first post also mentions that instead of centennial late hops (in the IPA) cali-belgique uses chinook. I've taken the best clone recipe and made the substitutions for you here:

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Chinook 15 minutes
1 oz. Chinook 5 minutes

WLP090 or WLP007

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Chinook

That should get you about as close as humanly possible. Good luck!
Very nice! Thanks a ton!! Its awesome how most here are so eager to help a fellow brewer out figuring stuff out
Ostomo517 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 3,823
Liked 512 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

This has the IPA recipe in 2008 addition of BYO direct from stone. Pretty close to the one above but no Munich and includes Centennial. They use Columbus to bitter now, so you could swap out the 90 minute additions for an equivalent edition of Columbus.

Edit: ah, I see from daksin's post that they don't use centennial in the cali-belgie
chickypad is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fosaisu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 443
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default

Any thoughts on fermentation temp? The BYO article with the Stone IPA clone suggests 68 F, but would the Belgian yeast dictate different fermentation temps?


fosaisu is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Cali-Belique clone zahrndt_usmc All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 23 09-12-2012 10:37 PM
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA DannPM Commercial Brew Discussion 17 04-11-2012 04:22 PM
Stone Cali-Belgique gonzo brewer Commercial Brew Discussion 9 02-26-2012 03:02 AM
Stone Cali-Belgique twist slothorentropy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 03-12-2011 03:59 AM
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA... r2eng Commercial Brew Discussion 7 02-26-2010 04:03 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS