First ever home brew today - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First ever home brew today
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Santa Cruz, Ca
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

My first ever home brew batch is in the primary! Having said that, I know I made some mistakes. Biggest mistake? Not pre-filling and marking the 6 gal carboy at the 5 gallon level. I don't know how much liquid was lost to boiling. I added water to bring level in the primary up to where I thought it should be. The SP was 6 points higher than target, but the volume looks right, so I left it and pitched the yeast.

Any advice or comments anyone?

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Seattle, Wa
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Congrats!
I would not worry about the SG, you will just have a little stronger beer.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Santa Cruz, Ca

What about extra hops/bitterness? The recipe calls for about 18 IBU. I mistakenly added too much hops to early, according to calculations it should turn out to be about 24 IBU.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
martiniw2olives
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Sounds like you made a very good beer. Now it's time to sit back, relax, wait and and enjoy the yeast storm.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Righlander
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Largo Florida
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i always enjoy watching them ferment in the carboys. too bad i hate handling them and pulling off gravity readings from them

Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Pie_Man
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Gainesville, FL
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedog View Post
My first ever home brew batch is in the primary! Having said that, I know I made some mistakes. Biggest mistake? Not pre-filling and marking the 6 gal carboy at the 5 gallon level. I don't know how much liquid was lost to boiling. I added water to bring level in the primary up to where I thought it should be. The SP was 6 points higher than target, but the volume looks right, so I left it and pitched the yeast.

Congrats on the first batch. It seems like you did a great job, it's important to keep good notes and analysis your process so that you can make adjustments and improve your brewing process. Regarding the OG, I'm not sure how much water you added to reach your final volume, but adding water can skew the gravity readings as the water and wort may not have been mixed thoroughly enough; it takes a lot of mixing to get an even sample.

Marking the carboy at the 5 gallon mark is a good idea, you may also want to make marks at 5.5, or 5.25 gallons. If you get exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter, you'll probably not have 5 gallons at bottling time due to absorption and transfer loss. Many home brewers aim to get 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermenter in order to get a full five gallons at bottling/kegging time. That's something that took me a few batches to get right. Good luck, enjoy your first beer and enjoy the process to making even better batches in the future.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Santa Cruz, Ca

Thank you for your advise. I intend to take the total weight minus weight of empty carboy after transfer to get the liquid weight. Then take FG X 8 and divide into liquid weight to get volume. I did vigorously shake an slosh the wort and added water in the fermenter. Also, the temps of the 2 liquids were equal or very close, which should facilitate better mixing.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Santa Cruz, Ca

It turns out that I was about a quart low on my guessed volume in the primary. After gravity samples were taken, the volume transferred to the secondary is 4.75 gal. That probably explains why the OG was 6 points higher than expected. That I'm not worried about. It's just a gentle reminder to get it right next time! After 2 weeks in primary with D-rest (now in secondary), it tastes good. That I do care about! Now, with filled and marked carboys I won't have to guess at the volume. Same goes for the brew pot, with marked up stir spoon.

Thanks for all the hel[p and encouragement.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
befus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Rogers, Arkansas
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedog View Post
My first ever home brew batch is in the primary!

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Congrats! Stepping out with a lager on the first brew too. Continued success.

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

"Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, waste a lifetime." Congrats.