Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Drilling new holes for 2 tap tower

Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
mglicini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Drilling new mounting holes for 2 tap tower in commercial kegerator

So i have never posted before but i have been lurking for a while now, and have learned so much from previous post, thank you for that.

My friend ended up with a True TDD-1 kegerator and didnt want it and sold it to me for $120, I replaced the tubing and added a new shank and it was fixed and working great, but i wanted to modify it to a 2 tap tower.

So i found the two tap tower on cornykeg.com, obviously i knew that I wasnt buying the best but i figured it was going to give me what i needed without really hurting the bank (why i didnt get a 3 tap tower).

but unfortunately i assumed i could just buy a tower and just plug and play, or drink in this matter but it seems that the mounting holes dont line up. I was thinking of drilling new ones and and tapping in new threads (havent priced that out yet), but i was wondering if anyone has done this before or has any pointers into drilling Stainless steel tops, or should i try and find another tower

Reason: i forgot to mention they were the mounting screws

Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
mglicini
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I went ahead and drilled new holes in stainless steel top.. Went to home depot and bought a hole thread tapper cost me about $20 bucks for the bit and tapper. It's really not hard just took my time but make sure everything lines up before you do anything

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3042751606.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	93837  

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Dang good setup for 140! I'm jealous!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I bought a Nostalgia Kegerator for $40.00 of CL but it didn't have the tower with it. I bought a 3" single tower(should have bought a three tap!) and had to drill all new holes. I went all the way through the top and almost screwed up big time. The front two holes went fine but when I drilled the first back hole it felt like it went all the way through then stopped. I drilled for a second or so longer then decided to check. Good thing I did, I was about to drill through the coil that was mounted on the back. The top of the coil wrapped under the top a an inch or so and I didn't think that it came out that far. I had to un-mount the coil, use a thinner mounting plate, and go with shorter screws.

Sounds like you had an easier time. That looks like a nice setup.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
mglicini
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah my biggest fear for me is out growing the two taps and wishing i got the three , i guess time will tell. since i replaced my tower,if i have to go to a three i have a trial one to figure it out haha