Meyers Oaked Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedkellough

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the brewing scene (2 batches so far, both extract kits from Midwest), but am looking to do a little something extra on the 3rd kit. I want to move into partial mash and then all grain but want to get the kinks out before shelling out a ton of money on mills and kegging systems. Back to the problem at hand though, not my dreams of a home brewery...I have the oatmeal stout kit and was thinking of giving it a little extra pop, mainly due to its low 4.3% ABV....:(

I have run the revised recipe through ihomebrewer and for the most part it checks out(there is no way to factor in the rum that i have found). I cannot decide on the best method for the timing/quantity of rum additions...I want to add 4 oz dark oak cubes and meyers dark rum (suggestions for amount??) to my secondary and let it sit for a 7-10 days, the time the beer is in the primary, and then rack it directly on top of the mix and let it sit for another 4 weeks or so before bottling. I also am thinking about adding about 3/4 of a lb of dark DME to the boil putting the potential ABV in the mid 5's with the rum addition.

I am worried about a few factors including too much sugar for the yeast to handle which i am attempting to remedy by using a second generation WP001 strain with a starter. From what I know this issue is only prevelant in high ABV beers (over 9%) but I want to be safe, not sorry as i pour out 5 gallons of beer...

I also worry that the added alcohol/sugar content added close to bottling could create bottle bombs, which is definitely not my goal as i like beer to much :D Would I need to adjust the amount of priming sugar used when bottling, if so how would i calculate this?? Beer alchemy?

Any and all suggestions and/or critiques are welcome. I am new to this and want to learn the right ways to do things. Thanks in advance! :ban:

Back